Article Aifd Welcomes 69 New Members

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
For nearly 20 years, Darenda Darnell-Garbarz dreamt of having one prestigious acronym after her name: AIFD. Looks like her dream is coming true.

Last week, the owner of Designs by Darenda in Homestead, Fla., learned she was among the 69 designers who scored high enough on the Professional Floral Designer Evaluation (PFDE), held immediately before the AIFD National Symposium “Transition Transformation,” to join the exclusive group of floral artists.

“I’ve admired the talent and knowledge of so many AIFD florists whose presentations I’ve attended over the years,” Darnell-Garbarz said. Her interest in the accreditation began seven years ago, when she joined the Florida State Florists’ Association (of which she is the current president) and really ramped up her floral education. “I am incredibly honored to be inducted among the designers I have looked up to for all these years – and I look forward to my turn sharing my knowledge and love of the industry.”

During the PFDE, candidates have four hours to create five designs. The given product and categories are not announced until testing begins. Designs are then evaluated based on ten points of professional floral design including mechanics, balance, color, theme, line, creativity and mechanics. Prior to participating in the design portion of the PFDE, candidates must complete certain education requirements and successfully complete an online test to evaluate their fundamental understanding of design.

Who’s deserving of a big high five? Check out the newest AIFD and CFD florists here.

Reactions: anytimeflowers