Announcement Mobile App

theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
I'm excited to announce that Beneva Enterprises is unveiling their florist mobile app, suitably named "FlorallApp".

FloralApp is available on the popular Android and iPhone platforms, and features a number of promotional features designed to facilitate easy mobile commerce.

Learn more at www.FloralApp.com or by calling 1-800-560-0501

Strider and Beneva Enterprises are working on creating a cross-platform interface to allow florists to easily move data from one platform to the other.

FloralApp is accepting registrations now with promotional introductory pricing. The Florist 2.0 data bridge will be available in the new year.

Attachments

• FloralApp-Email v3.jpg
    FloralApp-Email v3.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 32
Looks nice. I think the monthly hosting is cost prohibit for a lot of florist.

Understandable. I had a great conversation with another florist this morning on that topic. We were recalling when domain names cost $150 / yr, web development was in the tens of thousands, and hosting ridiculously expensive. Costs came down over time, but if you wanted to be on that leading edge you had to pay.

The choice for every florist right now is whether or not there is enough of a mobile market to justify the expense ... AND to decide what having a mobile app does for the perception of your shop.

You are correct - it's certainly not for everyone :)

Reactions: David
I saw the $99/mo hosting and couldn't figure out why? Well, I know why...
My VPS hosting for multiple sites doesn't cost that much per month.

Long term my money is on mobile versions of our sites. GenX and GenY shoppers are web driven, not necessarily app driven - especially for a flower shop. Loyal customers already have familiarity.

Cheers~
Doug

More good news :)

Art contacted me last night to let me know they've negotiated a better hosting rate, so the monthly fee has been reduced by $40.

They are honouring this rate for all clients, even those who signed up at the higher rate.

Ryan,
You know how much bandwidth even $59.95 buys per month - the amount of bandwidth used by this mobile app still doesn't warrant that amount per month.

Art is still pricing himself way high on a per/mo. charge compared to other mobile app sites.

Doug

Reactions: bootcampguy
Ryan,
You know how much bandwidth even $59.95 buys per month - the amount of bandwidth used by this mobile app still doesn't warrant that amount per month.

Art is still pricing himself way high on a per/mo. charge compared to other mobile app sites.

Doug

Doug,

You also know that bandwidth is hardly the main factor in hosting expense. :)

There are a few things at play here:
  1. Monthly fees like this cover much more than storage and bandwidth. There is also product development, support, training, and more.
  2. I doubt Art is competing on price. He has a track record of producing high quality products and services, and not all of them are the cheapest in the market. Quality comes with some cost ... just like with flowers :)
  3. How many other mobile apps for florists are there? When the mobile app hosting / developing market gets more saturated, then we'll have more competition for florist apps ... and then prices will be driven down. Until then, hosting and development costs will remain higher than traditional web costs (a market that's 15 yrs older).

Again, the question is: What is it worth to you to be on the cutting edge with a quality product? Each florist has to decide for themselves.

I wish I had the money for an app. I see all sorts of value in customers having this. And I think it's worth the money for perception alone. Any business that has an app I perceive as cutting edge. That's the image I try to portray and I actually feel ashamed to not have an app. Maybe after Christmas I will have an extra $1000 for this.

Reactions: FANCIES
Looking at this way, the additional sale which you are going to get. If spending $40 per month gives you an additional sale of $200, this is worth. Not sure if there is any other fee (setup fee) for this application.

Daman Anand

I wish I had the money for an app. I see all sorts of value in customers having this. And I think it's worth the money for perception alone. Any business that has an app I perceive as cutting edge. That's the image I try to portray and I actually feel ashamed to not have an app. Maybe after Christmas I will have an extra $1000 for this.

I agree! Me too!!!!

Media99 already provides a mobile version of their websites, at no additional charge. The Media99 people figured that most people wouldn't use the keypad of their phone to order flowers, but would look at the website to pick out what they want, and then use the phone to place the order.

My sons with their fancy phones concur.

Reactions: Sprout
Media99 already provides a mobile version of their websites, at no additional charge. The Media99 people figured that most people wouldn't use the keypad of their phone to order flowers, but would look at the website to pick out what they want, and then use the phone to place the order.

My sons with their fancy phones concur.

Personally, I concur as well. That's why we've made the V3 version of the Florist 2.0 sites mobile-friendly. There are strengths to the app approach, and strengths to the mobile version approach. I think it's important to first have your site mobile-friendly, and then consider the PR and consumer interaction benefits that come with an app. You can push content to customers in unique ways with an app, an opportunity not available by other means.

Reactions: David
There are people like me who use their basic phones only for making phone calls, and who don't understand what an app can do...

There are people like me who use their basic phones only for making phone calls, and who don't understand what an app can do...

For those of us with smartphones, they are often the centrepiece of the organization of our lives. All my emails, calendar, notes (Evernote! Holla!), access to our server, support desk, etc ... it all happens on my phone. If you can push useful info to my phone, I WILL see it :)

Reactions: ROBSWF
Just read in the TF newsletter that mobil websites will be rolling out in early 2011 and will not cost us anything more than our regular monthly payment...I am skeptical but we shall see...

Reactions: bootcampguy
I noticed this thread and thought I would put in my two bits worth ( as someone who developed a iPhone app).

Quite frankly the prices quoted for the actual app and monthly hosting are not unreasonable if you compare them to starting from scratch and going it alone.

However, what is not addressed is the fact that the mobile phone app market is fundamentally different in many ways than having an online presence.

1) Build a web site and visitors using Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc. will all be able to visit it. Yes, there may be a few minor quirks on less known browsers but generally if the site is built well they will all work.
Smartpones, yikes multiple platforms, multiple coding. Blackberries, require a Blackberry app, iPhones and iphone app.

2) With a little SEO work your website will pop up somewhere on the first few pages of search results on Google, Bing , or Yahoo. With a bit more work you might even get fairly decent placement for key search terms depending on your market. Some of this work involves time and sweat, but little money. For the price of a Smartphone app you could find an SEO guy ( maybe even Ryan) to help improve your websites rank.
There is no web equivalent "search engine" for smartphones to allow you to "window shop", You want an app you look for that app for your phone platform and load the app, don't like it or the products offered....too bad. Look again, load another app, start over.

3) The individual who buys flowers once or twice a year simply visits your website by choice or by accident when they need flowers, no commitment of any kind prior to or after the purchase. If they like what they see they can buy with little hassle.
Smartphone apps are not quite so carefree, first a consumer needs to find an app that interests them, then possibly pay for it, then download it. A lot of time and effort for a one time spur of the moment or occasional purchase. For the frequent flower buyer its a lot easier to shop on a 21" monitor than on a iPhone screen, plus your not stuck looking at it everytime you use your phone..

4) A smartphone app needs to be marketed in exactly the same way as you market all of the products and services you sell. Frankly it is a lot harder convincing consumers to load an app than to visit a website, plus you are dealing with a much smaller group of users (a particular smartphone platform versus the entire internet) and among those an even smaller number of potential flower buyers than you are have on the web.

My advice (IMHO) is that the average florist simply does not have the resources to effectively market a smartphone app to justify the investment. They can probably achieve a higher return by focusing on SEO for their website and on their B&M business.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth

Doug Munro;3205883) My advice (IMHO) is that the average florist simply does not have the resources to effectively market a smartphone app to justify the investment. They can probably achieve a higher return by focusing on SEO for their website and on their B&M business. Just my thoughts for what they are worth[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Doug, that's the way I see it. I did a thread a few months about this and did all the research..........and got some good advcie from you guys. On a botom line of 10% out the door, that app would have to generate in excess of 10k worth of business to justify it to ME year one and 5k years going forward..............I can no longer throw money at things that "might" work. I called several of my corporate accounts and asked the admin assist. (who shop on line for execs) all day long and ran the app by them. They ALL said the website version would be what they use, unless stuck in a airport, cab or strip club (for him). I know we all look at things different, but nows it's "show me the money honey".