Article Three Sentences That Will Instantly Raise Your Prom Sales

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
The easiest path to upping your prom profits isn't increasing volume, but raising the price point on every piece leaving your shop.

During the "Prom Bootcamp Webinar" held earlier this week, Sarah Botchick, marketing director at Pioneer Imports and Wholesale in Cleveland, Ohio, shared how one of her retail customers routinely coaxes every prom customer to spend at least $65.

"She attributes that success to using any of the three most powerful sentences in prom sales," Botchick said.

Tell me about your dress...
Tell me about your shoes...
Which bracelet would you like for your corsage?

The first two sentences work by a) instantly developing a rapport with the teen (girls love talking about their dress) and b) giving you the details to "formulate an idea and verbally paint a picture that she'll be hard-pressed to turn down." The third sentence, an example of "assumptive selling," has a much higher success rate than saying, "our basic corsages start at $19, would you like to pay $10 to upgrade with a keepsake bracelet?" Botchick said. Chances are, she's not going to ask to see basic elastic bands, "unless you tell her about them," she said.

The 1.5-hour long webinar was packed with nearly 100 ideas to increase your prom profits. If you missed it live, you can watch it, for free, at your convenience. Check it out here.

I agree! & I've seen it action in my own shop- I haven't used this wording- instead I invite them to try on the bracelets on display- once it's on their wrist they have a hard time giving it up :)