Story Of The Day

SLevi

Apr 27, 2012
Houston
www.scentandviolet.com
State / Prov
TX
Went to drop off flowers to the funeral this morning, and kind of arrived to the church at the same time as another delivery driver. He had a nice plant basket with him, so naturally I asked “What flower shop are you with?” and he replied: “I’m with H-E-B”. Me: “I did not know you guys delivered?” Him: “Yes we do, and this was kind of last minute order through FTD”.

So for all of you outside of Texas, HEB is a supermarket chain with over 340 stores throughout Texas (and Mexico). They started, like all other grocery stores with a small floral department (carry out – painted daisies in a bunch) and expanding it in the last years. Few years back they also started entering the wedding game (and I am not talking box lots like Sam’s Club or Costco)… then I heard they started employing some designers (corporate environment, you can call in sick during Valentine’s without actually ending up in an emergency room, benefits, etc).

So now they are obviously entering the same day delivery segment as well, with the gracious help of FTD.

All I have to say is that with 340 stores throughout Texas they have better buying power than my local wholesalers.

I remember when Walmart wanted to open One-stop-House-Buying-Shop (idea was to buy a house and get mortgage in Walmart – and yes it was real) the Real Estate lobby in Texas raised hell and stopped them. We, the florist – we do not have such thing.

So I am rethinking my future plans: Shall I start selling steaks and biscuits with my flowers? Something like a loss leader? Dozen roses $74.50 and a T-bone steak for $5.00.

Slevi,
The reason Fee'd to Death is reaching out to them, they are the only ones who will help them in their cause. Mainstream florists are dropping like fly's and they are very low on coverage. The main reason alot of grocery stores like WS, is they don't charge labor, that's included in their markup, so they see the 28% discount as cost of doing business and they are "banking" on the fact that the customer will be drawn to their store. No to steaks, biscuits, but I do believe in "loss leader' items and on the same day each week. It will take 6 months or so, but it will work and drive business. There are many items that will help us diversify and that is great. My new quote of the year is, "quality flowers at fair prices with exceptional service" will bring the money to you. They can't compete.