Help With Purchasing A Domain???

jordan

Dec 12, 2013
State / Prov
Ca
Question, clearly this is cyber squatting but wanted to get everyone's thoughts and or experience with this issue.

We own palmspringsflorist.net, I've inquired several times about palmspringsflorist.com which is privately owned. The asking price is 5k, which is ridiculous. This is the message I got back from the broker, let me know what you guys think, especially if you have experience with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"steven
5 months ago
i wish i could help you but i'm inclined to think even best case scenario we're going to need to at least get to the owners $4,1000 reserve price in order to reach an agreement on an outright purchase deal...
if you want to consider the rental model i could likely get that done for you around $120/per month... you would have full exclusive rights on the name for as long as you wish based on a 10% rate increase annually and then perhaps purchase the domain out at some point down the road.

the issue at hand here is that we're dealing with a client who also has their own underlying interests in the domain... flowers is one of several niche/verticals they had the foresight to invest heavily in very early on and over the last 15 years they've gone to great lengths to acquire dozens of great flower/florist domains, the majority being geo-specific like this one and at some point they will have the framework in place to turn these all into lead gen content sites in bulk so they're simply more concerned with what the longer term value represents if they were to hold onto the names themselves opposed to selling them off early at wholesale prices .

please let me know if i can be any further assistance

steven

*other similar/related domains of this client.....
abileneflorists.com
alabamaflowers.com
bangkokflorists.com
bowlinggreenflorist.com
cincinnatiflorists.com
colombiaflowers.com
duncanvilleflorist.com
eastflowers.com
edmontonflorists.com
fentonflowers.com
fortwaltonbeachflorists.com
franceflorists.com
harrisonsflowers.com
houstonflowers.com
indiaflorist.com
inglewoodflorists.com
irvineflowers.com
lakeworthflorists.com
marylandflorists.com
minnesotawildflowers.com
orlandparkflorists.com
palmspringsflorist.com
philadelphiaflorist.com
pittsburghflorists.com
russiaflorists.com
seattleflorists.com
shenandoahflowers.com
skokieflorist.com
tarzanaflorist.com
texasflowers.org
thailandflowers.com
tucsonflorist.com
verobeachflorist.com
wildwoodflowers.com
winstonsalemflorist.com
winterparkflorists.com
247flowers.com
affordableflowers.com
alwaysflowers.com
ambrosiaflowers.com
aprilflowers.com
aussieflorists.com
beesflowers.com
birdofparadiseflowers.com
bitterrootflowers.com
bridalbouquetflowers.com
bridalflowers.com
bulbflowers.com
bulkweddingflowers.com
caringforflowers.com
cheapmothersdayflowers.com
deliverflowers.com
discountfuneralflowers.com
elderflowers.com
findflorist.com
growflowers.com
growingwildflowers.com
handflowers.com
heavenlyflowers.com
instantflowers.com
irishflowers.com
jewelryflowers.com
lavishflowers.com
lightedflowers.com
lilacflowers.com
medicineflowers.com
monthlyflowers.com
motherdayflowers.com
neighborhoodflowers.com
octoberflowers.com
outdoorflowers.com
perennialflowers.com
promflowers.com
qualitysilkflowers.com
ribbonflowers.com
sendsomeoneflowers.com
sumflowers.com
typeofflowers.com
ultravioletflowers.com
uniqueweddingflowers.com
valentineflowers.com
venusflowers.com
vintageflowers.com
webflorists.com
weddingflorists.org
wholesalecutflowers.com
wholesaletropicalflowers.com
wholesaleweddingflowers.com
woodflorist.com
yuccaflowers.com"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could probably go the legal route as it appears that you have a trademark on "Palm Springs Florist" just as ftd did a few years back with the Google search thing. It would probably be more expensive than $4000. Have an attorney write a letter about the trademark thing
If you have a friend or client how is an attorney that may do for free OR trade

You have the trademark. Which means you are the only potential buyer able to use this name legally. Now, can you fight cybersquatting? Probably not. If the legal owner is in the US you will spend more money on the attorneys than on purchasing that domain. If the owner is outside of the US, you will never win. However what you can do is make an offer. You do not have to make an offer through that broker. Talk with few other people (who know more about this) but I have been offered a really great domain name for $250. He has been sitting on your domain name far too long and you are the only buyer. Seller has few options: get rid of the stale domain or be mean sob and refuse to sell. make an offer you think you can pay (no matter how ridiculously small it appears) if you really want to have .com under your belt.

I offered 2k which I think is ridiculously overpriced to begin with. They are playing hard ball. I've twice offered that amount over a duration of a year. I think hes had the domain since 05 I believe.....

anyways I want the domain, but not at the back breaking sum of 5k.
Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or any suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input.

I'd go around the brokers but the domain info is privacy protected. All I get is a bogus third party company.

Some people just hang on to domains out of principle - the belief that it's worth more than it is.

At $2k it is probably worthwhile for you ... but not much more than that.

If he's making passive ad revenue off the site and it's only costing him $10 / yr there's no rush to sell.