Hydrangea Pomander

Amber & Earth

Mar 4, 2014
State / Prov
NJ
image.jpg Hello everyone!
Has anyone ever made a pomander using hydrangea?? I have a wedding coming up and the bride wants these crystal centerpieces with a big ball of hydrangeas on top of each one. (See the picture I attached of the crystal candelabras). I will be using a 3 1/2" a 6" and a 8" floral foam balls to make these arrangements. Any suggestions? For the larger balls would you just stick to entire stem in? For the smaller would you pick off the individual flowers of each stem and insert that way?
Or should I forget this whole idea and just sit a dish on top with.a block of foam in it? Thank you for your suggestions!! FYI the measurements on the photo is the circumference of the opening of each one.

Reactions: bootcampguy
I'm not the designer our business, so this may not be the last word on this...

But I hear our designers complain that hydrangeas don't hold up in floral foam. When we do wedding centerpieces with hydrangea in foam, we make them up the same day as the wedding (or just add the hydrangeas that day.)

The photo is obviously silk flowers. Personally I would tell the bride she can't always get what she wants. We could do a nice cluster of hydrangeas in those vases (stems in water), but it wouldn't look exactly like a pomander ball.

But maybe someone has done this successfully.

I have had great success with Hydrangea in floral foam because I use the Chrysal hydration product. Since I have switched to using this brand of preservatives my Hydrangeas have lasted in floral foam up to 2 weeks. They even do well in the desert heat when using them in Oasis foam shapes for decorating an arch or arbor. I would take smaller clusters off the main stem no matter which size foam oasis ball I was covering with it. I would also use the spray floral glue to ensure it stays put, should be beautiful!