15ft strans of greenery?

rewolf

Pro Member
Jul 4, 2007
chatham
www.wildbunchstudio.com
State / Prov
MA
Here is a picture of my latest wedding project. As you can see, I have proposed large pots of flowers that sit up on the corners of the decks with strands of greenery dripping over and hanging down about 10-15ft long.

My bride is not an ivy girl so I need a little help from you guys. My vines need to be flexible like ivy so that when I wire/weave them together it will look like one continuous strand. I'm going to use a bit of smilax sparingly up toward the top to add volume - making 6-8 ft strands. What greenery would complement the smilax for the 8-15 ft strands and can be prepared days in advance.

Any suggestions in execution is always welcome. :)

Attachments

• drapinggreenery.jpg
    drapinggreenery.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 person
Here is a picture of my latest wedding project. As you can see, I have proposed large pots of flowers that sit up on the corners of the decks with strands of greenery dripping over and hanging down about 10-15ft long.

My bride is not an ivy girl so I need a little help from you guys. My vines need to be flexible like ivy so that when I wire/weave them together it will look like one continuous strand. I'm going to use a bit of smilax sparingly up toward the top to add volume - making 6-8 ft strands. What greenery would complement the smilax for the 8-15 ft strands and can be prepared days in advance.

Any suggestions in execution is always welcome. :)

Italian ruscus would add some darker color....plumosa would be nice but hard on your hands and could be sheddy, rainbow fern would be nice and if you put them into poly bags should be fine...now carbone has a company that custom makes garlands out of anygrees you want, not sure how pricey they are....you should make a call and see...

Reactions: rewolf
never worked with smilax, but it sounds like the look you're going for. More of a bright spring green, but I don't know about the holding up part ....

beautiful idea - post pics!
smilax.jpg

Italian ruscus is great for this...we remove the individual breaks and make fine garlands from them and pick them into the soil. It's easy to wire in individual blooms of dendrobium, agapanthus, cymbidium or what ever. English boxwood also works great. I've tried plumosa and sperengerii, but it doen't hold up very well, but Hops work pretty well, ( we pick 8-10foot lengths, and water pick them before inserting them in the soil) as does bittersweet foliage.