Article An Inspiring Vacation

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
We’re just weeks away from Memorial Day, the unofficial start to summer, so let’s talk about vacation. (Isn’t that a welcome thought after the Mother’s Day crunch?)

When it comes to scheduling a trip out of town, there are a lot of options –the beach, the mountains, Europe, a safari, etc. –to suit a traveler’s tastes. For dozens of florists (so far: 88), the ideal getaway is a five-day symposium filled with creative ideas, lavish designs and plenty of elbow rubbing (and brain picking) with some of the industry’s top designers.

“Transition Transformation,” the 2014 Symposium of the American Institute of Floral Designers, comes to the Windy City July 3-7, at the Hilton Chicago. Among the many programs on tap: how to use the language of flowers to tell a story, new ways to repurpose wedding ceremony flowers in the reception, and exploring the characteristics that compose masculine and feminine designs. The event kicks off with the Professional Floral Designers Evaluation testing (a prerequisite for AIFD membership) and ends with a black-tie gala.

We caught up with a few designers who consistently choose to spend their summer vacation at the annual AIFD Symposium to find out why:

"Symposium provides me the most consolidated and intense opportunity for creative inspiration. Each year, I add it to the calendar and plan the budget. I'll give up many things to save money through out the year but not, my inspiration/education vacation. The annual investment in symposium pays back in rewards both financial and personal throughout the year."
Leeanne Kessler, AIFD
Floral Design Institute, Portland, Ore.

“I go to watch, be inspired and learn from the designers on-stage; to view all of the new products from the Partner's Expo; and to network and socialize with contemporaries.

Sylvia Bird, AAF, AIFD, PFCI
Freelance designer, Ft. Myers, Fla.
AIFD Southern Region President

“Symposium is the perfect way to recharge your creative juices and see the latest trends, design techniques and styles. It's also the ability to share ideas with other top floral designers from around the world that I just love.”

Walter Fedyshyn, AIFD, PFCI
Phillip’s Flowers and Gifts, Chicago

“AIFD Symposium is truly the only place to see incredible, artful floral designs in an amazing variety of styles. From the creative floral decor that adorns the hotel lobby to having flowers placed in every attendee's room, the AIFD region hosting each Symposium does everything in their power to make this the most exceptional experience.

Many florists ask ‘How can I use any of these designs in my daily work? They're so large and opulent!’ My answer is always that you can take any of the new knowledge and apply it to your daily work. I learned how to bring out my power saw, cut birch branches, and make stands for table event designs, as well as fresh and permanent creations. How cool is that? That was worth the whole cost of attending! Even those in areas that are more conservative (creatively) will benefit from the new knowledge they can bring to their flower shops: cooler and showroom display, adding a moss they didn't know about to their designs, finding out about a new supplier, seeing someone take an inexpensive frame and create a wall design for display, a new spin on an easel spray.... the list goes on.”

Joe Guggia, AIFD, PFCI
Flowers by Joe Guggia, Santa Maria, Calif.

I go because:
1) The AIFD Symposium is a wonderful place to find out about emerging trends in the floral industry.
2) It's where great designers gather every year!
3) Exceptional networking opportunities with other designers, wholesalers and manufacturers.
4) The stage presentations are incredible!
5) It is a great opportunity for continued education.
6) You can attend a trade show to find the newest and hottest products available on the market.
7) There is always something to inspire me!

Tim Farrell, AAF, AIFD, PFCI
Farrell’s Florist, Drexel Hill, Pa.
AIFD President-Elect

The most important reason to go is the educational opportunities. You will learn something everyday, from the time you walk into the hotel with the lobby décor, to the Leadership gala on the last night. You can also take advantage of hands on seminars with some of our elite partners and with our AIFD Foundation. Everyone also gets the chance to be with other like-minded people who will share all their knowledge with you on whatever subject. Also this year we have a back stage pass that allows you to get up close and personal with the designer and the techniques behind the designs on stage.
John K. Kittinger, AIFD
The Best of Flowers, Lexington, Ky.
AIFD President

For more information and registration material, click here.

Last edited:
Reactions: KABERS