Budding trainee's

Johan

Oct 20, 2008
Leeds, United Kingdom
www.wharfedaleflowers.co.uk
State / Prov
West Yorkshire
I know this would be quite a complicated thing to do but could we maybe have a separate section on flowerchat for people wanting to come into the floristry world (interested in becoming a florist). Somewhere they can ask questions etc. Pick our brains. We can then give them useful info, if say they are training at college, so we can tell them as much or as little as we like. It just feels so negative to say bugger off your not a florist when there are so many non-florists already on here. Some people are requesting help and advice and maybe come from a sector useful to us but we say so long but no your not welcome.

Reactions: greatflowerlady
Personally, I would think that would be opening the door for every BB out there.

In one place there is a home based florist (which in itself hasn't been challenged) who has great design but appears to take her customers to wholesalers. They have been given a very warm welcome (although interestingly not approved) yet another applicant has been potentially barred even though their current business skills could result in some inspired views/ideas simply because they are fresh and unfettered by the day to day grind.

I don't know what the solution is - although I confess I like Johan's suggestion - and it's a dilemma that impacts on all florist boards and will probably be very difficult to resolve. But as the industry changes I wonder if we all need to be a bit more flexible and perhaps open the door a little wider.

You see not only could something/someone seriously interesting walk through it but there is always the option to close it shut again if they prove unworthy.
JMO
Carrie

Reactions: twiggy and Johan
I do understand where you are coming from Jo, but there are other boards that kind of offer that already and what happens in my opinion is that they are just social boards with a bit of floristry thrown in.

I think that if we opened this board up to students, it would open up to bb's and the majority of the chat would become very very simplified. I also think the business end would be neglected more.

Opening up the board as much as it is (and i am still a relative newbie here), i think has taken away some posters who have been in the business for ages. If it was opened up to everyone which it invariably would be as there would be no verification process then i think a lot of people who can offer savvy advice would go.

JMHO :)

The reason why she hasn't been approved yet is because a few people voted no.

And now she wishes to be removed .. oh lor tis too much for my battered brain ... been here since 3 this morning and beginning to go more ga ga than normal!

I'm not suggesting we let them onto our board but into a kind of sub-devision. We still pick and choose for the main board and if they are rejected on the main board we vet them to go into the sub-division area. That way if anyone has a objection or feel that they are over stepping the mark on the sub-division area they can be still removed. And if anyone feels they are BB's in their area out they go. No questions.
That way we would be able to go on their side but they can't come on ours. Sort of a one way gate in our favour. We only need post on their side if we feel that it is what we want to do.

I new this would probably open up a heated debate but I think it should be something to be maybe considered at least if our lovely web wizards feel it is something that could be done. It could also be a way to boost funds. They could be charged to go into the sub-division?
That's why I said it wouldn't be straight forward.
We could get them to answer more questions to go in the sub-division.