Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda

Nov 1, 2002
Millinocket
www.millinocketflorist.com
State / Prov
Maine
We sent an order for an older couple for their son-in-law's funeral service to a town about 40 minutes away from us. Long story cut short, the shops (3) in that town produce nothing that looks like what we do. The lack of design experience from two and high minimums on the third cause us lots of headaches when sending there. I usually tell people trouble we've had in the past and suggest they take something with them if they are going there (funeral or hospital).
When the gentleman came in to pay, he stated he was disgusted at what they had received, it was about 16-18" in height and for $45 for flowers, we should have made it larger. He was embarrassed at the wake and funeral knowing those were his flowers.
I then explained to him (as I had to his wife when she ordered) the "wire service scenario" and my cautions to his wife regarding the florists there.
He then understood it was not my shop who had done the flowers. Step 1.
I just couldn't in all good business sense or customer service wise cash his check.
Step 2 - I contacted my TF rep regarding the complaint and I forgive her, she's new and we had just had a conversation regarding "Design Education" the week prior.
Step 3 - I followed up with a letter to the filling shop. I explained my customer's complaint and offered to come to their shop and give them "constructive criticism" and a few tips. The owner did call when she received the letter and apologized, stated she had never had complaints ever about her arrangements, and would refund my money. She had already reported the order and I explained the process I would execute on the complaint and refund of the order.
Step 4 - She then said she and her daughter would love some lessons and wished to come to my shop for them so I wouldn't have to travel. I explained educational opportunities that our State Association has and highly recommended they attend.
I am very pleased that they took my complaint to heart, are willing to learn and get educated to take their business seriously, and resolved the complaint to both party's satisfaction.

Now, the TF rep and my discussion regarding Teleflora signing up every shop in every town they could was based on people who have NO design experience being allowed to become members. No wire service I know has trained design experts who can actually evaluate a shop's prowess with design so they give their WS to anyone who opens a shop (sometimes even before they actually open a flower shop!)
Luckily, I am close enough to be able to mentor this new TF shop and hopefully have someone in that town who has a clue as to design and be comfortable sending sympathy, home, or hospital designs through them.
Okay, rant done for today...Open soapbox for anyone else!!
:soapbox:

Reactions: 3 people
Rhonda,
I must aplaude you on your offer to help them become all that they can be...
that is quite a generous offer...You truly possess class and integrity that some people just don't get...i am glad that the shop in question has taken your offer and are willing to learn, it is to their benefit...The maine assn is lucky to have you...even if TF could care less, you do and that is good in my book...

Rhonda,
I must aplaude you on your offer to help them become all that they can be...
that is quite a generous offer...You truly possess class and integrity that some people just don't get...i am glad that the shop in question has taken your offer and are willing to learn, it is to their benefit...The maine assn is lucky to have you...even if TF could care less, you do and that is good in my book...

I also aplaud the way you handled this issue. Maine is lucky to have you.
Carol Bice

Status
Not open for further replies.