Diversify Those Skills and Strut Your Stuff!

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
I gotta tell you, I LOVE designingfresh flowers. It totally excites me to create something that’s going tobrighten someone’s day while allowing me to use the skills I’ve worked hard todevelop over so many years. Trust me, I ain’t no floral Pollyanna. I just knowthat (at least) I’m not stuck behind some desk with my bottom expanding a bitmore than it should. To me, that’s a gift in itself.

But what about those downtimes when that phonewill not ring no matter how much marketing you try? How much cleaning andorganization can you do? Well, thosejust might be the perfect times to broaden your design scope, let go of fearand try something new.
dscf0775.jpg
For me, I used those times to put myself outthere and try new design skills that would broaden my client base and bring inthose much-needed dollars. While I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, Ilearned I had a lot more skills than I had initially recognized in myself. Forexample, I’ve always loved gardening and creating my yard as a place of serenebeauty that I could admire and my family could be proud of. So why not havesomebody pay me for that skill whilehaving a great time doing it?

I decided to put the idea out there to theclients I felt had a need and could afford my newfound skills. And you knowwhat? It worked! For about a year, I did some extra landscaping jobs and madesome good money outside of our retail shop. Those first efforts led later to“sprucing” up the same yards from time to time, redoing porch plants andstaging. When the word got out, more people started trusting my expertise. Howstoked was I to get a quality hourlyrate while moving extra product from my showroom and suppliers at a profit!

Know that such experiences don’t just happenon their own. You have to suggestyour services, making clients aware of your extra skills, along with your dailyfloral abilities. For example, if I were delivering flowers to a client’s home,I casually suggested that a custom, permanentdesign would look great in this or that spot—and that I’d be happy to bringa sample by to show her how it would look. Or I commented how, if she reworked aparticular room, she could gain more space and visual value. Oh, and, wouldn’t herporch look great with some clusters of blooming plants, a touch of willow andsome beautiful moss?

Some clients accepted my suggestions; otherssmiled and said, “Maybe later.” But the fact is, if I hadn’t put any of thisout there (and put my skills on the line), none of those extra projects wouldhave happened. And I learned a very valuable career and life lesson: NEVER beafraid to suggest ideas to and interact with people. They will embrace andrespect you for it, even if they decline your wonderful design skills at thatmoment.

Learning and perfecting these skills has beensuch a blessing in my professional life. It’s allowed me to be part of myclients’ lives, make their holidays and homes more special, and has kept memotivated. Our floral journey can be a bit daunting in the ever-changing retailenvironment. But I’m proof that a small-town boy can reach for brighter starsand be a success in more ways than just money.

I’m not a rich guy, but with reinventing myselfand going the extra mile, I’ve been able to keep some cash flowing and getthose kids through college. Whew! I’m tired just thinking about it! But, oh,what a great way to tire this body and create beauty in the best way I can.

Be well, my floral friends! The world is yours,and it’s totally ready for your incredible skills.

What are some of the creative ways you have expanded your skills and/or service offerings? Let us know in the comments!

Aboutthe author

In a floral world that cansometimes be scary and tiresome, Joe Guggia, AIFD, works to reinvent himselfand keep his floral passion alive. With beginnings as a delivery boy atSandyland Nursery (Carpinteria, Calif.), he progressed to assistant grower andhelped launch the first nursery contract with a supermarket chain. Later, Joemoved on to take ownership of Camfeldt’s Flowers and Gifts (Santa Maria, Calif.).

Today, Joe continues togather knowledge in all phases of the floral industry. He admits that puttinghimself “out there” to keep the dollars flowing has been a challenge and isn’talways easy. But sticking to it and realizing that “We’re only as good as ourlast design” has brought him to a place of industry sharing, both of hisexperiences and those of others.

Joe’s expertise includesstaging, indoor/outdoor decor consulting, custom permanent designs, plantinstallations, landscaping, custom sympathy and everyday shop designs. He is amentor to the student chapter of AIFD Cal Poly and promotes the motto of“Educate, motivate and create.”

Reactions: LOTAKIDS and blumen