FlowerBudi--DIY Flower-Arranging Kit

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Came across this today when doing some online research for an article I'm writing. I'd never seen it before: http://flowerbudi.com/. Would you ever consider selling something like this in your shop to encourage people to buy their flowers from you to create their own? Or would you see this as a negative because it discourages people from using your talented design skills? I can see both sides--selling it might encourage people to buy loose flowers from you more regularly because they get the satisfaction of designing their own flower bouquets. But it also might encourage people to use these types of kits (which obviously can never truly mimic the talents of a trained floral pro) to create flowers for weddings, etc. (though my guess is that by the time you'd buy enough of these kits plus the flowers for a wedding, it would be a better deal to use a florist AND be assured of high style!).

Anyway, found it curious and just wondered if y'all were familiar with it!

g.

I thought that guy looked familiar .... Russ from "The Arrangement" - grating personality.. ugh. And no, even with step by step instructions, some people wouldn't be able to make a nice looking design but as you said, some people will buy the kit and try to make their centerpieces for weddings etc. and become professional floral designers.. omg....

wow...I've never seen that.
I think the concept is actually interesting especially the 'press-on pattern' for the diy-er. I don't think these buyers would ever go to a florist anyway and pay for creativity. I see them as grocery store buyers and happy as a little lark measuring their flowers on that laminated chart.
But the entire presentation looked so dated, kind of embarrassing ...the flowers, the design...their clothing...the backdrop...and who sells a product in a muscle-bulging shirt...

Instructions: "Start by selecting your flowers from your garden or favorite store" not florist......but I don't see this $48 item in any way as a threat to my business. The press on thing won't help with angle placement and design skills. The video looks complicated for a DIYer. I think someone buying this would actually become discouraged when they tried to use it. I would not sell it, it seems kinda silly to me. I think it would be better to have classes in my shop ( hopefully one day).

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I thought it looked pretty silly, too, but--at the same time--I try to see anything that encourages more flower consumption as a good thing. The more exposure consumers have to flowers, the more likely they are to buy them, consider them a positive purchase and see their value. Nevertheless, like you all, I still doubt most consumers would learn very much from such a DIY kit. (And, as suggested, the consumer could much better put his or her money to use toward an actual class.)

My goodness ~ I had no idea it was so easy for anybody to make perfect flower arrangements every time!

I can see extreme frustration for someone who really believes that this is all there is to it. There are plenty of DIYers out there who make horrible designs and are perfectly happy with them without this little buddy "system". Those who recognize a good design but are never able to make one look right themselves STILL won't be able to make a design that they like. On the other hand, they are the ones who truly will appreciate a professional designer and be willing to pony up. The ones who think they have done something marvelous (and maybe they will) won't be purchasing their flowers from a florist, they will definitely be at the grocery store.

After the woman who was demonstrating cut the first rose and then everybody stood there talking, I kept saying "get that poor little thing in water!" I was stunned that all of the other roses were "pre-cut". Not doing anybody any favors if they are not also teaching basic product care. Even if they manage to get a well-proportioned design made using the little buddy, they will be very disappointed in how short of a life those flowers are going to have.

Would never consider selling something like that, I can just see all of the "experienced" designers this will make. ;)

I can however see it as a teaching tool for beginner designers or children for spacing focal flowers but they would need to be weened from it fairly quickly or they would never develop their own sense of proportion or placement. For my part, I cannot imagine measuring every flower stem for a cut, that would drive me right up the wall.

Will it/ could it bring a higher demand for fresh flowers? Doubt it. This is one of those things that plenty of crafters will buy, try, and stick in the closet. I'm also imagining all of the foam that it going to get re-used and then the flowers will get returned for being bad......

I'm also imagining all of the foam that it going to get re-used and then the flowers will get returned for being bad......

like minds. and if we're the professionals selling this thingy, some will think implied guarantees, unlike when you buy from the grocery..

This the result of this floral genius.
RussWholesaleFlowers.com is the brainchild of flower expert, Russ Phillip, Jr. He had a dream of bringing flowers to the masses by using the power of the Internet.

Russ was most recently head of operations for the multimillion dollar commercial divisions at All American Phillip’s Flowers, Inc. (Phillip’s Flowers) and sat on the Board of Directors for All American Phillip’s Flowers, Inc. Founded in 1923, Phillip’s Flowers is a well-established retail floral company in the Chicago area.

As a third generation florist, Russ started in the floral business as a young boy and in 1986, Russ began his full time career at Phillip’s Flowers. His career and training work took him internationally, where he experienced months of floral industry training with some of the best in the industry.

It shows that it was 2008, and it seems dead, cross it off your list.

We sell Easy Arranger in our store: http://www.easyarranger.com/

Haven't sold a lot, but then we don't do much walk-in trade. We figured that our DIY brides who buy from us might like it.