Google Knows It Sucks.......

clay

Aug 12, 2004
Victoria
www.mcadamsfloral.com
State / Prov
TX
http://venturebeat.com/2011/01/12/google-search/

"But the secret to Google’s success was actually not PageRank, although it makes for a good foundation myth. The now-forgotten AltaVista, buried within Yahoo and due to be shut down, actually returned great results by employing the exact opposite of PageRank, and returned pages that were hubs and had links to related content."

For those with more Tech knowledge, what exactly does the red mean in layman's terms? Thanks.

Hubs are simply sites that provide links to quality sites. The simplest version would be a manually reviewed directory, especially one focusing on a niche category.

Quite often blogs now function as hubs. If you are into Christian lifestyle and book/movie reviews, you will likely follow www.challies.com because they not only post quality content, but also link to quality content on other sites.

If you have a problem and immediately think "I should go to XYZtech.com / modelairplaneforums.com / duckhuntersanonymous.com / etc because they will point me in the right direction" then you've identified a hub.
(Disclaimer: I made up those sites, don't click on them or consider this an endorsement :))

Reactions: clay
Checked out challies.com pretty awesome site! I will be frequenting that blog, always looking for a great Christian writer to teach me a little more! Thanks!