"Green Containers"

Rhonda

Nov 1, 2002
Millinocket
www.millinocketflorist.com
State / Prov
Maine
I've seen ads for these and FTD's marketplace has them for sale in two sizes.
Biodegradable pots, made from bamboo fiber 5" $.89 6 1/4 X 6 3/4 $1.99 each...
Anyone seen them or use them? Wonder what their life span actually is?

I carry them, but not from FTD. They are supposed to last about 2 years before they start to deteriorate at which time you can plant them pot and all into the ground. They've been popular for people looking for green ideas, and also they make cute pots for the price and come in fun colors.

Reactions: Rhonda
lots of things happening in the greenhouse industry. if paper mache mfr'rs would get a bit more creative, they could really capitalize on this green movement. yes, i know about recreations, but there are a lot more possibilities.

also, i have often thought about turning wood forms and using an epoxy or some sort of wax to water proof the interior.

jeo

Hi Rhonda,
This is the square one. They come in four earth-tone colors. They feel just like plastic, but I always, always point out the label that I purposely leave on which clearly says "bio-degradable - made from natural plant fibers. I love them for the shape and color, the "green" part is really a great seller to the younger set. Boy, I AM getting old. The younger set is 20's and 30's. They really go for just about anything natural, and especially like to think they are part of a good movement.Love Birds.jpg

If you don't get them from FTD where do you get them? None of my wholesalers seem to carry them.

There may be different versions of these - but the ones we just tried to purchase did not biodegrade that quickly. The rep told us something like 100 years vs. much longer for traditional plastic pots. We chose not to buy them because the prices were off the charts (WE would have had to buy them for over a dollar piece direct from the manufacturer and then resell to florists.) If you find ones for $.89, that biodegrade in 2 years, you have found an excellent option. Go for it!

Just be careful to ask questions, because not all are that way.

The Pots Company sells them.