Inspiration in our Crazy Floral World: How to Reignite Your Floral Industry Mojo

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
By Joe Guggia, AIFD

As florists, we go through our daily lives designing flowers for our beloved clients. We cater to their needs and wants, communicating their emotional wishes to their loved ones. We struggle with seeing our website images getting copied but still strive on getting deliveries there on time.

But what about our world? How do we keep ourselves motivated to ensure we give our clients the best visual value we can without burning out our creative souls?!

Inspiration in my little world comes from incredible publications that are available throughout the variety of venues we encounter everyday. From the corner store to home-improvement retailers, magazines are available for each of us to view and absorb.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a creative slump, tired as heck, ready to throw in the towel on this crazy floral industry. Then, lo and behold! My subscription to Luxe, Interiors + Design (or via Kindle) arrives. This wonderful decor/architecture/style magazine is geared toward various locations throughout the United States. Mine happens to focus on the L.A. area of Southern California.

With my first view of the cover, BAM! I’m exposed to this awesome home in Manhattan Beach. My eyes first (naturally) go to the simple floral designs in those ever-lovin’ shades of green. Ah! A clue to what designers are liking for their interiors.

Next, I view the rooms’ architectures, the way the furniture is placed and its colors. Inspiration is seeping into my head…

I turn to another page, this one showcasing a traditional glass chandelier mixed with contemporary styling—more inspiration! I’m feeling a whole lot better now! I keep turning those pages and my endorphins keep flowing. My floral industry zest is returning, and I feel newly ready to conquer our world. In fact, I feel an architectural creation on the horizon!

When I flip to the last page of Luxe, my spark has been reignited and I’m good for another 100 miles.

Most of us have subscriptions to the wonderful assortment of magazines geared specifically for the floral industry. These publications are awesome with so much design, business and product info. Geared specifically to the retail florist, they are a much-needed asset. It’s just that, sometimes, I need a little outside-the-box influence that floral industry publications can’t offer.

It’s important to regularly “service” our psyches with such inspirational resources. Doing so continually ignites our sparks, keeping our customers interested and coming back for more.

So take some time in your busy day to look for that extra creative nudge in publications such as Architectural Digest, Garden Design and Sunset. Subscriptions are cheap, and they can help your bottom line (and sanity!) so much.

Be well, my friends! Go view your world and the creative bounty that surrounds you!

About the author

In a floral world that can sometimes be scary and tiresome, Joe Guggia, AIFD, works to reinvent himself and keep his floral passion alive. With beginnings as a delivery boy at Sandyland Nursery (Carpinteria, Calif.), he progressed to assistant grower, maturing along with the nursery, which eventually expanded as the first to contract with a supermarket chain. Later, Joe became owner of Camfeldt’s Flowers and Gifts (Santa Maria, Calif.).

Today, Joe continues to gather knowledge in all phases of the floral industry. He admits that putting himself “out there” to keep the dollars flowing has been a challenge and isn’t always easy. But sticking to it and realizing that “We’re only as good as our last design” has brought him to a place of industry sharing, both of his experiences and those of others.

Joe’s expertise includes staging, indoor/outdoor decor consulting, custom permanent designs, plant installations, landscaping, custom sympathy and everyday shop designs. He is a mentor to the student chapter of AIFD Cal Poly and promotes the motto of “Educate, motivate and create.”

Contact Joe at [email protected].

Attachments

• Luxe Cover.jpg
    Luxe Cover.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Joe Guggia AIFD.jpg
    Joe Guggia AIFD.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 264