Article Jacob Mccall, 2014 Sylvia Cup Champion, To Compete In World Cup This Summer

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
Jacob McCall, AAF, AIFD, an FTD education consultant and the winner of the 2014 Sylvia Cup, will represent the United States in the prestigious 14th Fleurop-Interflora World Cup design competition, June 11-13, in Berlin.

Fleurop-Interflora World Cup is the preeminent design competition for the international floral industry. Held every four to six years, the World Cup highlights the craftsmanship, creativity and intensive cultural exchange of the floral industry. Throughout the three-day competition, up to 20 international participants will create floral masterpieces with pre-planned and surprise materials. Shanghai hosted the last World Cup in 2010.

Participation in the World Cup is by invitation only and competitors must have already been successful in competitions or shows and exhibitions at an international level. FTD selected McCall to represent the U.S. due to his impressive design competition credentials and his passion for positively promoting floral artistry through his role as a member of the FTD Education Team, work at The Elite Flower in Miami, Fla., and involvement with the American Institute of Floral Designers and the Society of American Florists.

“It's an amazing feeling to represent a company like FTD and even more humbling to be representing the U.S.,” McCall said. “I am also honored to be among those selected in the past to represent our country during the competition’s history!”

In addition to McCall's victory in the Sylvia Cup, the country's longest-running live-commentated flower competition, he also won the Sunshine Cup at the Florida State Florists’ Association Convention in 2013. Competing against nine countries, McCall represented the U.S. in the 2011 America’s Cup in Brazil and was the first runner up. He also won the Iron Designer Competition at the International Floriculture Expo for two consecutive years in 2011 and 2010.

“I am fortunate to have competed nationally and internationally. I have perfected the art of keeping calm under extreme pressure – a major plus,” McCall said. “I have learned how to get into the zone very quickly, as well as think creatively in high pressure situations. My mentors told me that I would represent the U.S. at World Cup someday. My goal has been achieved. I am ready to compete.”

Reactions: SLevi