Article Lonely Bouquets Brighten People's Days, Capture New Customers

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
One way to gain new customers is to surprise them with a gift. On the day they receive it, they’ll experience euphoria and gratitude. While that first emotion may wear off over time, appreciation for what you and your kindness will linger –and bring them back to you for future floral needs.

“The Lonely Bouquet” is a global initiative to make strangers happy with flowers. Participants create a small bouquet, add a “take me” tag, and leave the bouquet somewhere public to be found and taken home.

On June 25, Mayesh Wholesale Inc. sponsored a Lonely Bouquet Day, providing customers with complimentary flowers and tags describing the concept, to which florists could attach their own business cards. Across the country, roughly 250 people received a surprise pick me up when they discovered the bouquets. After the event, dozens of happy recipients inundated with Mayesh (and, presumably, the florist who attached a business card) with photos of their bouquets and notes of thanks.

“It was a great way for us to help our customers reach out to their community and bring happiness to strangers,” said Yvonne Ashton, Mayesh’s director of marketing.

Here are just a few excerpts from happy customers. Pay particular attention to the last one!

“On my morning walk, I came across the best surprise ever: a lonely and gorgeous bouquet looking for a home. What a cool concept – thank you for making my day!!!”

“I found a beautiful bouquet outside my workplace today. What a perfect way to start the day J”

“Someone brought a wonderful bouquet and set it on my desk. Thank you so much!”

“Today a most amazing thing happened as my sister and I left a hospital. This gorgeous bouquet was lying on the path to the main entrance. We had just left my sister’s best friend who has been there for four days. My sister is recovering from pneumonia, and I have had what we all refer to as a ‘tough week’ … and then—there you were – looking for a new home. I felt very grateful for receiving this gift. We made three bouquets out of you to spread the wealth. On behalf of my sister, her friend and a very special dog who left us today…thank you! What an act of kindness!”

“My friend brought me one of your lonely bouquets yesterday and it was such a blessing because I am pregnant and on bed rest and my husband is out of town on a business trip. It was God’s perfect timing. What a surprise!”

“Thank you so much for the lonely bouquet flowers I found. I surprised my wife who whilst she was sleeping with them and the smile they brought was priceless. I really admire acts of kindness like this. It shows you are a company built on quailt on integrity, quality and love. You now have a client for life.”

Have you left a lonely bouquet in your community? Join the conversation and tell us about your experience!