My Special Dates Intro

A question for all of you. Right now, we offer reminders to consumers in the form of text, email, and an automated phone call. The phone call uses text to speech, so it says the person's name and the name of the person the reminder is for. And, it allows them to directly connect to the florist by pressing 1. My question to you is, what other type of reminders would be valuable to your customers? We're looking at adding an iPhone application in the near future (there are 35 million iPhone and iPad users in North America). What else? Facebook? Would love your opinions.

We do about 50 weddings a year and for the last 2 years, we also go after the grooms on the one year ann. We sent them all of the above, but start with letter 5 days out and descibe the day all over, mention types of flowers, etc. In 2009 - 71% converted, 2010 60% converted (sign of times I think). One letter did come back "take out of computer, it didn't last"...................hopefully we can do his next one. This whole segment is being forgot about after the wedding is delivered. We've gotten the money and now just move on.

We've also tested "sympathy" reminders, people either loved it or we're "very upset" about 50/50.

This year we're going to test in May, graduation flower reminders to the local high schools, I think it will be big........time will tell. Letters wil go out about the son/daughter graduating from X and then our hours will mirror when they need to pick up flowers.

I may not totally understand this ... but I have Floristware as my POS, and with it I capture all of my customers' special dates. Every week (usually on Sunday when it's quiet) I hit Reminders and it tells me what my upcoming reminders are. Then I can either call them or email them to remind them of upcoming birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It's no additional cost to me, and it keeps everything under my own control.

What am I missing?

I may not totally understand this ... but I have Floristware as my POS, and with it I capture all of my customers' special dates. Every week (usually on Sunday when it's quiet) I hit Reminders and it tells me what my upcoming reminders are. Then I can either call them or email them to remind them of upcoming birthdays, anniversaries, etc. It's no additional cost to me, and it keeps everything under my own control.

What am I missing?

Nothing, Annette. If you have all of that at your fingertips and the time to look them up and call them, why not? It's a very personal touch that I think customers really appreciate. I don't have a POS, and even if I did, I doubt I'd remember to give those reminders and then I would be in trouble! For me, this is really slick.

OK, thanks, Linda. I've got more time than money right now, so my FloristWare POS ( at $95/mo including reminder system) works for me.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Annette,
The Floristware software you have sounds like a great way to keep track of special dates for which your customers have already purchased from you in the past (i.e. John’s wife’s birthday). My Special Dates takes that basic concept and kicks it up a few notches:
- My Special Dates lets customers set up their own reminders. So, John may enter his wife’s birthday, but he may also enter several other occasions, such as his mother’s birthday, his anniversary, etc. These all represent potential sales for your store, which you may not have known about otherwise.
- Customers can also enter the method in which they would like to be reminded, whether via phone, text message, or email (and soon a mobile app). So, you know that they will receive these reminders via the most effective way possible, as different people like to be reminded in different ways.
- We also have a social media presence on Facebook and Twitter, which allows us to capture new customers for you in your area. In the last few months we have acquired an average of 3-4 new customers per month for some of our florists.
- Finally, reminders are sent automatically, so that frees up your time. No more emailing or calling on Sundays!

You can test drive it yourself, if you like. Just go to www.MySpecialDates.com and set up a free account, as if you were a customer. You can set up your own reminders and see how the system works.

Brooke, thank you for the additional information. That is very helpful. I can see the added value you provide over what I am doing. So far my contacting existing customers and reminding them of special dates has not been a burden. And it's nearly 100%, because they've done it before. But I can see that your service might give me access to new contacts, who may or may not decide to become customers. When I get a chance, I will check out your site. Again, thank you.

Reactions: My Special Dates
Thanks, Annette! Please do check us out when you can and feel free to give us your candid feedback. We're very open to ideas as to how to improve the service. What would make it more valuable to you as a florist and how can we help you grow? Would love to hear from you.