Need Some Dog Help.....

bootcampguy

Jul 14, 2010
Ormond Beach
www.afloralboutique.com
State / Prov
Florida
Last year our local paper interviewed me and visited the store for a story on MD about the DOGS. After showing them how the DOGS deceive, they decided it was not a story, because they had access to the 3 big networks for sending, so they were no different than me (really). The other paper in town wants to do a 3 part series starting next week about the DOGS. They have asked for examples and I have some for them. They want to go through the whole process, so they will in fact place an order and follow it to me or where-ever it lands. I have my examples of towns and listings. Do you guys have any that are really extreme that you would like to share? Keep in mind if I use your example and if it's about you, you might receive a call from them to verify. My main focus is on the people in the description line that state, "serving xyz city" and clearly with no store there. I have one example where they have local chamber of commerce listed as there address (and yes, they are members of that chamber) so good angle for the story. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: steve
Last year our local paper interviewed me and visited the store for a story on MD about the DOGS. After showing them how the DOGS deceive, they decided it was not a story, because they had access to the 3 big networks for sending, so they were no different than me (really). The other paper in town wants to do a 3 part series starting next week about the DOGS. They have asked for examples and I have some for them. They want to go through the whole process, so they will in fact place an order and follow it to me or where-ever it lands. I have my examples of towns and listings. Do you guys have any that are really extreme that you would like to share? Keep in mind if I use your example and if it's about you, you might receive a call from them to verify. My main focus is on the people in the description line that state, "serving xyz city" and clearly with no store there. I have one example where they have local chamber of commerce listed as there address (and yes, they are members of that chamber) so good angle for the story. Thanks in advance for the help.[/QUOTE

I will keep an eye out for listings as there should be an abundant amount over next two weeks. Post links to the article when it prints and we can all link it to our Facebook and other social sites.

We recently looked into florists in McAllen, TX and this little beauty caught my eye
http://www.amyflorist.com/?amyloc=McAllen
Contact Information
You can mail us at 3972 Barranca Pkwy. Ste. J273, Irvine, CA 92606 or contact us by phone at 800-780-0860. (located inside UPS store)
And guess what? They are also in Houston:
http://www.amyflorist.com/?amyloc=Houston
Do I need to tell you they are family owned and operated. What is with all the DOGs being family owned and operated.

My favorite to this day conversation is:
SHE: Hi, I am calling from Just Flowers florist. I need... Excuse me, but are you a real florist?
ME: Yes, I am. Are you?
SHE: Of course we are
ME: Since when?
I still don't know why she hung up on me :)

Back to your story: What they need to do is place the order for the smallest (cheapest arrangement) - because the pictures on DOG's sites always represent the large arrangement and than follow it.
But, if I am going to be honest, there is really no story there. And why would there be one? Big three and all of their DOGs are all in it. I just today discovered that Teleflora (you know the guys who are here for the real florist) is letting certain florists claim the addresses (and zip codes) in their listings they do not have. In towns like Houston, certain zip codes are more desirable than others, so real florists are being allowed by Teleflora to post fake addresses (as long as they buy stuff from Teleflora, like websites etc), and aren't we are all guilty by association.

The biggest problem is not the DOGS or the wire services, it's the customer perception and lack of interest in helping the small business owner.

Customers want convenience, speed, and value. They don't care how they get it, until they are disappointed.

It's doubtful customers will take the time to look for a local florist to give them their business, all that can be done is educate customers and STOP using photos of pre-made arrangements that EVERY DOGS and wire service site has up.

Branding NOT copying is KEY as is cutting off the chains to the wire services to begin to make a dent on the dependance of florists upon order fulfillment for the sake of poor profit and high revenue.

Once florists cut their wire service off, and STOP filling orders for DOGS this will stop.

So the real story is not that Goliath is beating up David, it's that David keeps putting his head on the chopping block then complains that he has a head ache! LOL

Seriously though any education to the consumer of our plight as professional florists can only help in the long run.

But it's like the environmental movement or saving the whales, think global act local !