Official Problems W/ Fulfiller Shops List

Doug Munro

Mar 17, 2005
Edmonton
www.growerdirect.com
State / Prov
Alberta
This thread exists to provide a place to post problems that you have had with a specific filling shop.

It is by no means a reflection of an individual shops standards or business practices, nor should it be perceived as a "Do Not Use" list. It is simply a place to detail a problem that a sending shop has experienced with a filling shop.

So here are some simple guidelines to follow

1) For consistency list the filling shops name and city in the title field
2) If the shop is a wire member list their member code(s) in the posting
3) Provide as much detail of the problem incident as possible
- Date
- Details of the problem and what occurred. Be fair!
- Details of how the problem was resolved or was not resolved
If you can not provide the actual details DO NOT POST!

Here is what you can NOT include in your posting

a) NO slurs, NO personal attacks, NO negative opinions of a shop or its management!
The purpose of this thread is not to crucify a shop or personally rant about what you perceive as shortcomings. So for everyone's sake keep it professional and stick to the details!

If you happen to find your own shops name posted on this thread, simply reply to the posting (be sure to quote it) with your version of incident. Lets faces it, even the best shops have the occasional problem filling an order. On the other hand if you find your shops name keeps coming up on this list it might be time to seriously revue your procedures in house.

What is the purpose of this thread?

We are all attempting to better service our customers, unfortunately when sending an order out of town many times a shop is working blind. This list may assist a sending shop in determining how to send an order, naturally the final choice lies solely in the hands of the sending shop.

Doug, while I applaud your efforts to help us all serve our customers better, I don't think that this is the best way of going about it. I see a rat's nest of problems.

Besides the legal implications, there are always at least two sides of every story. Not affording the (black) listed shop an opportunity to explain their side of the story is simply unfair.

Why not start a list of preferred shops? Shops that you regularly wire out to about whom you've gotten good feedback from your customer or the recipient. Go about it from a positive standpoint. Even though a thread of stories about bad wire out experience would be much more fun to read and contribute to.

Reactions: twiggy
I do like to know shops that don't do what they are supposed to... but I also LOVE knowing the PERFECT shop to send to! Lesha why don't you start that thread?

Doug, while I applaud your efforts to help us all serve our customers better, I don't think that this is the best way of going about it. I see a rat's nest of problems.

Besides the legal implications, there are always at least two sides of every story. Not affording the (black) listed shop an opportunity to explain their side of the story is simply unfair.

Why not start a list of preferred shops? Shops that you regularly wire out to about whom you've gotten good feedback from your customer or the recipient. Go about it from a positive standpoint. Even though a thread of stories about bad wire out experience would be much more fun to read and contribute to.

Lesha,

I agree with much of what you say and that is why I tried to lay down some ground rules and make it very clear that this is not intended to "blacklist" any shop.

One of the things that I do find interesting is that in suggesting this list I did receive a number of comments about the unfairness of it or possible legal implications.

Funny enough from what I can tell it does not appear that any of these considerations were or are taken into account in maintaining and posting several threads supposedly listing OG (Order Gatherers) websites. In fact postings are routinely made to these threads listing the names of companies yet providing absolutely no details.As well some of these posting even include suggestions not to accept orders from these companies, now I would suggest that is the definition of a "Blacklist"

I believe though that your suggestion of a "Preferred Fulfilling Shops List" is an excellent one and I will post one after lunch.

Hopefully Boss will be kind enough to apply a sticky to it so it will also remain at the top of the heap.

Thanks again

Doug,

I think this is a great idea. I fill a large volume of incoming orders. I have a large staff 6 designers plus 5 or 6 PT arrangers/sales staff, 2 that are only office and phone sales, plus 6 drivers, dispatcher/IT guy and my brother and I. The reason I listed the amount of staff is to stress how easy it is for one or many of us to screw up and management never finding out. I would like to think this is very minimal and we track by "replacements" and "deleted orders" in our system (which we do, but not as often as we should). Occasionally I have noticed staff members "covering" for each other's mistakes thinking they are doing their coworker a favor. I see it as passing up a good learning opportunity for everyone employed here. We ARE going to make mistakes. So if we make them, lets figure out how and where we dropped the ball, so we don't do it again.

Often I read posts on FC about other shops screw ups and I change the way we handle things here, b/c I have learned from that shops experience and I am thankful that they shared.

The things we are looking for when we chose to mark a shop "do not send" are not shops that screwed up once. They are shops that screwed up and REFUSED to appease the customer. I want to deal with a shop that can handle a complaint and satisfy the recipient and/or the customer without losing their cool when they get insulted or screamed at. We need to know how to handle the irate customers even when they are out of line or disrespectful.

Heather thanks for the thumbs up

I hope everyone understands that the intention here is not to penalize the fulfilling shop that makes the occasional mistake. Every fulfiller will have a problem occasionally, that's a fact. What sets a good shop apart from a poor one is how the handle and resolve a problem when it occurs.

I have experinced shops that literally bend over backwards to resolve an issue to the original purchaser and sending shops satisfaction. These shops in fact usually end up being our "Preferred Fulfillers" even tough our relationship started with a problem.

On the flip side I have had to battle with fulfillers that basically say too bad, not my problem.

These are the types of shops that help to undermine consumer confidence in having flowers delivered, whether the original order was placed through their local flower shop or via an order gatherer

When I worked in theater - We used to have this on the window of the sound control room:

"A mistake well covered my be Art in its Highest Form"

I agree only beligerent shops should be listed and I just looked up on in Montreal I had a big problem with - but am still reluctant to post it here - they claimed recipient was rude to them - and she may have been, but this woman has spent over $3000 with me, and they refused to replace it.

So, should this qualify? I now senders and recipients get belligerant sometimes - but this goes with the territory, and refusing to replace even if the sender is unreasonable seems like it should qualify.

I had to do an ADJ on it for half the money after I ate the other half and refunded them completely. Keeping my customer was worth the $50 to me.

How about when a florist insists it was to value but the recipent or sender claims it was not? In my world, we will replace still, even tho we know it was to value, but many I've encountered will insist they were right and not replace?

When I worked in theater - We used to have this on the window of the sound control room:

"A mistake well covered my be Art in its Highest Form"

I agree only beligerent shops should be listed and I just looked up on in Montreal I had a big problem with - but am still reluctant to post it here - they claimed recipient was rude to them - and she may have been, but this woman has spent over $3000 with me, and they refused to replace it.

So, should this qualify? I now senders and recipients get belligerant sometimes - but this goes with the territory, and refusing to replace even if the sender is unreasonable seems like it should qualify.

I had to do an ADJ on it for half the money after I ate the other half and refunded them completely. Keeping my customer was worth the $50 to me.

How about when a florist insists it was to value but the recipent or sender claims it was not? In my world, we will replace still, even tho we know it was to value, but many I've encountered will insist they were right and not replace?

Bloomz,

IMHO.....the equation boils down pretty simple

The fulfilling shop is a supplier of goods (one of many potential suppliers in most markets), the sending shop is their customer. As the customer do you feel satisfied with the transaction and are you continuing to "shop" at this business.

Now I know this analogy will cause some grief on this board as many shops hate being categorized as "a supplier of goods", but whether they like it or not. The sending shop as the customer in the transaction will behave no different than any consumer, if they feel they were short changed, did not receive adequate service, did not receive value for money spent, or were not satisfied with how a problem was resolved, will generally "shop" elsewhere for their next purchase.

Now before the comments start about being paid too little, too busy, having to substitute, original sending customer being unreasonable....
The fulfilling shop choose to accept the order knowing full well what they were being paid and what inventory they required. As well, being in retail the occasional unreasonable customer is a given, its something that must be dealt with.

So having rattled on long enough, here is what I suggest.

If you are still comfortable and are continuing to send orders to the shop in question DO NOT list them here. Obviously they have your continued vote of confidence

On the other hand, if you are uncomfortable using them, you should list them here.

Yeah there are some bad apples out there, but, on this post it is just so darn sad, actually, You never know what is going on in a shop times or what is going on in there head or house either, For example, I went to a grand party last night, and It was at a ritzty house, So the person who ordered the flowers for the hostess was there complaining about how crappy the flowers looked all evening before,I got there, when I saw them, I thought they were beautiful and beleive you me , I know crap when I see it, and this was not one of those time, it was fresh preety and way nice, no carns no cheapo flower things, I even know the shop that it came from, they do a great job at all times, I use them when I am in there area, have for many years now, So the twit insisted on leaving a mean nasty message for this shop demanding money back, and trashing the day lights of them to anyone who would listen at this party, So I take her aside and ask, what is the real problem here with this arrangment? Well her answer was, I asked for pastel flowers?? Well it was pale peach roses, lavender freeza, some casa blanca lilly, some cream fillers in there, it was all pastel. So I am telling here this was pastel, and to leave it be, So this morning I get to my store, and the twit has upset the shop so bad, and folks who are slamming them from all ends, If I had not been there, I would have belived the customer, but I was there, So I called the shop, and told them what a lovely job tat they did, and that there was nothing wrong with it, So when asking him what she wanted" Pastel, Well for sure the twit doesn't communicate well, She then ranted she would have wanted a touch of pink in it, Well the twit didn't tell him that, and in fact pink in that setting where we were would have looked as it then would have been crap, So it goes to show, Buyers are liars, So I applaud shops, who do the right thing, He even offered to save face by giving her money back, Which is more than I would have, So instead, she took at gift certifiacte as well, Buyers remorse sometimes, is just plain Sad, if you are worred , about your flowers, then make them fed-ex them or call the shop directly, and I can tell you that doesn't always work calling them, but shops know in there are what folks like and don't like, My Queen Mother is never happy with a darn thing, So I don't want to put the local florist through the pain and agony of her ways, So even if I dont' she is upset and when I do she is upset, Some folks you just can't make happy. Do I blame the shop No I don't and won't sometimes it has happened, but few and far between, and I don't know what the purpose of your post is Doug?

I use google and yahoo local to see what comments and reviews are on the shops before I place a direct order. It has influenced my choice somewhat. Sometimes you can just tell that it is a personal thing and unjust but sometimes you can find some legitimate complaints. I also look at websites and pricing before I call so I know what's what.

Yeah there are some bad apples out there, but, on this post it is just so darn sad, actually, You never know what is going on in a shop times or what is going on in there head or house either, For example, I went to a grand party last night, and It was at a ritzty house, So the person who ordered the flowers for the hostess was there complaining about how crappy the flowers looked all evening before,I got there, when I saw them, I thought they were beautiful and beleive you me , I know crap when I see it, and this was not one of those time, it was fresh preety and way nice, no carns no cheapo flower things, I even know the shop that it came from, they do a great job at all times, I use them when I am in there area, have for many years now, So the twit insisted on leaving a mean nasty message for this shop demanding money back, and trashing the day lights of them to anyone who would listen at this party, So I take her aside and ask, what is the real problem here with this arrangment? Well her answer was, I asked for pastel flowers?? Well it was pale peach roses, lavender freeza, some casa blanca lilly, some cream fillers in there, it was all pastel. So I am telling here this was pastel, and to leave it be, So this morning I get to my store, and the twit has upset the shop so bad, and folks who are slamming them from all ends, If I had not been there, I would have belived the customer, but I was there, So I called the shop, and told them what a lovely job tat they did, and that there was nothing wrong with it, So when asking him what she wanted" Pastel, Well for sure the twit doesn't communicate well, She then ranted she would have wanted a touch of pink in it, Well the twit didn't tell him that, and in fact pink in that setting where we were would have looked as it then would have been crap, So it goes to show, Buyers are liars, So I applaud shops, who do the right thing, He even offered to save face by giving her money back, Which is more than I would have, So instead, she took at gift certifiacte as well, Buyers remorse sometimes, is just plain Sad, if you are worred , about your flowers, then make them fed-ex them or call the shop directly, and I can tell you that doesn't always work calling them, but shops know in there are what folks like and don't like, My Queen Mother is never happy with a darn thing, So I don't want to put the local florist through the pain and agony of her ways, So even if I dont' she is upset and when I do she is upset, Some folks you just can't make happy. Do I blame the shop No I don't and won't sometimes it has happened, but few and far between, and I don't know what the purpose of your post is Doug?

The example you provide is unfortunate , but it is only one and an extreme one at that. It does not in any way prove that "buyers are liars", it simply points out that ONE customer lied in your opinion.

All of us who send flowers out of town have shops that we simply will not use due to having experienced too many problems in the past (I suspect that even you have such a list).

As for what is going on in a fulfilling shop "at times" your right, none of us know. All businesses have the occasional bad days, even the best run ones. The purpose of this thread is not to highlight the occasional foul up on the part of a fulfiller. The purpose is to list the fulfillers that are a constant problem or that the sending shop refuses to use because of ongoing issues. Maybe they do have "problems" in their shop or home, but the gaol is to not let their problems damage your business.

I realize that no one wants to "bad mouth" their brethren, however some of these continuous offenders are what in part is causing consumers to lose faith is sending flowers as a gift. To be fair some of them simply do not know any better. Maybe part of our job as an industry is to provide "tough love" to these shops and hopefully get them on the right track

As with anything else you can either identify the bad apples in the barrel and remove them, or you can ignore the facts and let the whole barrel rot.

If as an industry we are going to resolve our problems and move forward, we have to consider that there is only one individual we need to look after, and it is not our fellow florist.

IT IS THE CONSUMER!

Without the consumer supporting us, all of the rest is a moot point. Yes some of them you may consider "twits" but none the less it is these "twits" that pay the bills.

So while it may be comfortable (and for some even enjoyable) to continuously blame the OG's and WS's for all the woes that have befallen our industry we also have to be honest with the fact that many retail flower shops are doing damage as well. If as a group we continue to shield, protect, or make excuses for them, we will all go down with the sinking ship. As the saying goes, sometimes you have to cut off a finger to save an arm.

Reactions: bloomz
Ok, I do get what you are saying, and didn't think other wise, But I will hold out on posting things, cause some of the shops I have some issue with are on this board, and , I would never ever hurt one of there feelings, So I am out of the loop, I love my Karma,

weddings Queen...u opened another thought...customers are somtime liars//thats for sure,thy have ben trained to ask for their money back with all the wire services giving them 7 day gaurantee and cheerful refunds...we even have people trying toget their money back days after a funeral...I or one am sick of giving things away,AN I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Let's try and keep this thread on track - it's for reporting and listing, not extensive discussion. Too much chatter and it becomes difficult to use as a resource over time.

Thanks!

Funny thread
This is just an open invitation to a lawsuit. :argue:

The best way to complain about a fullfillment is go to the local Google map listing and write a review.

You start spreading talk about a business that is negative you might also make a complaint with the BBB. Even then the BBB will be reluctant to discuss issues about problem companies.
Kinda like a divorce... everyone is right. :fdevil:

Funny thread
This is just an open invitation to a lawsuit. :argue:

The best way to complain about a fullfillment is go to the local Google map listing and write a review.

You start spreading talk about a business that is negative you might also make a complaint with the BBB. Even then the BBB will be reluctant to discuss issues about problem companies.
Kinda like a divorce... everyone is right. :fdevil:

Ironic, your reasoning does not seem to hinder anyone posting to the Order Gatherer threads...

Defamation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Libel" and "Slander" redirect here. For other uses, see Libel (disambiguation) and Slander (disambiguation).
"Vilification" redirects here. For the hate crime, see racial vilification.
In law, defamation—also called calumny, vilification, slander (for spoken words), and libel (for written or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. It is usually, but not always,[1] a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).
In common law jurisdictions, slander refers to a malicious, false and defamatory spoken statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "Unlike [with] libel, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[2]

Defamation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Libel" and "Slander" redirect here. For other uses, see Libel (disambiguation) and Slander (disambiguation).
"Vilification" redirects here. For the hate crime, see racial vilification.
In law, defamation—also called calumny, vilification, slander (for spoken words), and libel (for written or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. It is usually, but not always,[1] a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).
In common law jurisdictions, slander refers to a malicious, false and defamatory spoken statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "Unlike [with] libel, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[2]

Keep the blinders on pal, its certainly helped this industry so far