Price check - pomanders

Snapdragon Studio

May 28, 2009
Vancouver
www.flowersbysnapdragon.com
State / Prov
Washington
Hard to believe, but I haven't had to do a pomander yet. I have a bride who wants them for her junior bridesmaids. Any direction would be helpful... what size foam do you use, and how many carnations should I plan on? I'd also love to know what you charge.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer,

It's one thing to do pomanders for hanging on pews, totally another for little girls to carry. The foam can easily break up not to mention they will be awfully heavy. My suggestion would be to make tulle puffs and then glue the carns in, or a ball of bb with the carns again glued in.

If you DO decide you want a water source or the bride does not want anything but a smooth ball, you can use the small igloo so that there is a cage around it. It's going to take close to 2 dozen carns for that, MAKE SURE YOU USE BOUQUET HOLD or FLOR-LOCK!

The other thing I've seen done is using the netting sock that comes on spiders. You slip your piece of foam into it and tightly tie off both ends, then soak it. This gives something more stable to hold the flowers and you can more easily attach a loop for the handle and also a tassel if you want.

hth

For pricing I would say about $50 each.

Reactions: Snapdragon Studio
Linda is right, the foam is heavy and it can break. We always use styrofoam balls. Get some plain wooden toothpicks and insert one end into the calyx and the other end into the styrofoam. (You might find 1/2 a toothpick is all you need). This works well and can be done a couple days in advance. Spray them with Crowning Glory and hang them from the shelves in your cooler. Can't remember how many it takes, but use a smaller ball than you think you'll need because from the bottom of the calyx to the top of the carnation is longer than you think! A search on here should help you with the number of carns.

I use a small oasis ball but dry.I just glue the flowers to the ball run a ribbon attached to a small wooden pick and run it thru the ball to make a handle.The wooden pick lays sideways to keep the ribbon from pulling thru. Crown and Glory it and good to go.

If you want a 7" ball you use the 4" oasis netted ball with about 36 carnations (I wet the ball, and use oasis glue on the side of the stem of each carn). It will be heavy! I charge $55 for that size. For a 4" ball it takes 24 carnations and you have to use a 2" ball. You must net it or wrap it in some bind wire and glue every flower in because the foam is going to fall apart. I charge $35 for the smaller size.

Jennifer,

...My suggestion would be to make tulle puffs and then glue the carns in, or a ball of bb with the carns again glued in...

Linda-
I know this type of pomander has been discussed before on this Board but I just can't wrap my head around the mechanics. How can you achieve a polished look or well rounded sphere when there isn't much to glue your carn into? Is there a good source or video I can watch that shows me how this is made?
Thanks!

Linda-
I know this type of pomander has been discussed before on this Board but I just can't wrap my head around the mechanics. How can you achieve a polished look or well rounded sphere when there isn't much to glue your carn into? Is there a good source or video I can watch that shows me how this is made?
Thanks!

I'll admit I've thought the very same thing...

Reactions: rewolf
My husband made a design holder for pomanders.He took an old bouq holder stand an attached an arm to it so the balls.tulle tuff whatever you are using hang from it so it makes it easier to make.

I have trouble with the net puffs, too. I've done this: Get net bath scrubbies at the Dollar Store. They even come in colors and have a built-in loop for hanging. You can try gluing your carns directly into the netting using oasis glue. The netting will no doubt show, so you'll need to experiment. You'll probably also want to add ribbon to the loop as well. It's nice and light weight, and already has the shape you need!