Article Putting The Kibosh On Negative Advertisements

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
With Mother’s Day fast approaching, it’s hard to miss those two words that inspire emotions ranging from sadness to ire in most florists: “Forget Flowers.”

The alliterative phrase has become the go-to tagline in holiday advertising for retailers big and small, peddling everything from cleaning supplies to lingerie.

Over the past few weeks, Betsy Hill Hall, owner of Hall’s Flower Shop and Garden Center in Stone Mountain, Ga., has found her inbox filled with jabs from businesses she herself has patronized.

“It bothered me that (a lot of) these companies sell things with pretty flowers on them —chocolates embossed with flowers on top, soaps in floral scents, graphic designs that include flowers, trees that flower — and yet they speak poorly about giving flowers as a gift,” she said. “These companies are strong and have awesome products. That’s why I’m their customer.”

In recent days, she decided to email the offenders to explain why their message stings and that they needn’t disparage flowers to make a sale.

She opted to not post publicly on their Facebook pages, which could be construed as hostile. “I’d rather take the conversation offline,” she said.

It’s an approach the Society of American Florists takes several times a year. Director of Marketing and Communications Jenny Scala writes companies that diss flowers, explaining that it hurts florists and that it would be better if they promoted their products on their own merits. (Note: If you see a negative ad, you can report it to [email protected].)

“My hope is, as a customer of these companies, my concerns might be heard causing them to change these ads and think differently about flowers in the future,” she said. Among the companies she’s contacted so far:

· a chocolate company (“Better than flowers this Mother’s Day!”)

· a tree company (“Roses on Mother’s Day are red, After a week they’re yucky.

Give her a tree instead, And for years she’ll feel lucky.)

· a cleaning company (“Mother’s Day gifts that won’t wilt.”)

So far, two have responded “quickly and very apologetically,” and have changed their email subject lines, Hall said.

“I really don't think the writers are always trying to jab at flowers,” she said. “I think they're trying to be cute and clever. I think the majority don't consider florists at all and it's our responsibility to kindly remind them.”