Article Retail Expert To Discuss Deals

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
What’s a $75 arrangement look like? How do you price your expertise? What’s an appropriate charge for the convenience of hand delivery?

If you’ve pondered any of the above, then you could benefit from attending Retail Growth Solutions, the Society of American Florists’ annual two-day conference, June 10-11, in Chicago.

“Pricing is a huge issue for all types of businesses,” said Jim Dion, of Dion Co. Inc., the event’s keynote speaker, who’s written for hundreds of national and international trade magazines and has appeared on NBC, Fox News, First Business and CNN. “The Internet has created complete price transparency. It’s so easy for people to research what things cost.”

Set your prices too low, and you can’t make a profit. At the same time, you can’t ignore the reality that consumers are watching their wallets, he said: “There’s not a sane person who says, ‘I’ll pay anything.’ Wanting a good deal is human nature.”

The secret, Dion said, is determining what makes a good deal.

“It’s not always what’s the cheapest,” he said. “If I just want to brighten up my table, then that $9.99 bunch of flowers at the grocery store is a great deal. But if I want to send something for Mother’s Day or my anniversary…not so much.”

A big part of Dion’s speech will focus on “selling the whole package” —advising what to send, artfully arranging it, delivering it on time, offering care instructions and providing service that makes customers feel good about their purchase.

Dion’s research? “Informal,” he said. “I happen to be a customer, so I’m in floral shops frequently. I’ve experienced the good, the bad and the ugly personally. I also have family and friends that I regularly query about their experiences.”

That, of course, is on top of his role consulting retailers large and small, including Ritz-Carlton, Harley-Davidson, Hummer and Poster Plus. He also religiously reads the National Retail Federation’s daily newsletter to identify enduring consumer habits and retail strategies that work.

To learn more about Dion and the rest of the Retail Growth Solutions lineup, click here.

Reactions: KABERS