submerged flowers

Kristine

Nov 26, 2002
Middleville
State / Prov
michigan
quick question.

We are submerging pincushion protea in vases for reception. Called the GM for the stones for the bottom of the vase. They have changed from using stones to SAND>

We were going to anchor flowers to the bottom of the vase and cover mechanics with the stones. Now sand?? Would the flower stem be able to draw water thru the sand. Or do we cut off the stem and float the head with fish line or use deco wire

any other ideas welcome.

thanks!!!

Kristine, I've used sand ~ the flowers did just fine. It was actually really helpful because I was using deco beads so the stems went into the sand with water and the deco beads sat on top of the sand. You could actually see the individual beads but still have water for the flowers.

I would think it would be much easier to hide the mechanics with sand instead of rocks but wthdik?

For my daughter's wedding we had singe daisies sunk and I used washers and uglu ~ God I love that stuff!

Reactions: Kristine
funny you should ask! go to Mayesh.com and see the finialist for their contest. There is a lady making submerged pin cushions. Her technique was pretty crafty!

I think the thig I'd worry about would becloudy water. So perhaps rinse your sand.

Ya know, when I was at Aprils we would buy sand from Tag. It was nice and clean. Maybe get craft sand??? It came in all colors. They had groovy sea glass too.

We ended up ditching the sand we had and bought pool filter sand, very white, cheap and clean. Even if the play sand settled, once we transported it would cloud up again, looked pretty ugly sitting here.

So Pool filter sand most economical.

Shannon, I'll check out the mayesh later. The pin cushions were the grooms request, his Mom (my contact and checkbook) didn't like them, but caved for her son. We did a prototype with the rest of the table top items and they looked great! They fit the reception "theme" really well. and Mom did admit to liking the whole look. yeah!!!