Status
Not open for further replies.

bloomz

Nov 12, 2002
Corvalis
State / Prov
OR
Can't quite call all of them Proven Best Sellers - yet, cuz they're too new

But they have really stepped up to the plate with vibrant, new, appealing, cutting edge designs with most excellent images of them.

Every month now newer and more of them.

Yes some of them would be hard to fill (don't offer them) but the majority of them have great consumer appeal.

Credit given where credit is due, and they are doing a great job of keeping on top of new stuff.

I can tell you first hand - put them on your web site and they do sell.

------------------------------------
On a different but related note: for the first time in my experience - FTD's codified outsold the pantz off of TF's this last holiday.
---------------------------------------

But I love these new Cookies - Yum. Cookies spell dollars to me.

51J1FMHC9VL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have to agree, they are really nice. I just added a bunch of them to my website, I predict they are going to be a big hit.

Reactions: bloomz
They are getting ready to publish a new FSG.

I wonder if they are doing some real live test marketing via the TF-florist owned websites.

I know I have been getting some regular repeat business on certain items.

some are pretty traditional arrangements, the Gentle Thoughts Easel, the warm thoughts funeral arr't, the basket of light bouquet and the white garden.

All are pretty boring in my eye, but a noticeable amount of customers from around the country like those four -nondescript- florals and planter.

However, we have also been seeing calls for the cubes, uniquely chic as an example. Nothing new about a round mound of flowers except the packaging.

Also, I am seeing some of the newer designs come in with regular frequency now.

so, are they testing these products out in a real environment? Probably.

joe

Can't quite call all of them Proven Best Sellers - yet, cuz they're too new

But they have really stepped up to the plate with vibrant, new, appealing, cutting edge designs with most excellent images of them.

Every month now newer and more of them.

Yes some of them would be hard to fill (don't offer them) but the majority of them have great consumer appeal.

Credit given where credit is due, and they are doing a great job of keeping on top of new stuff.

I can tell you first hand - put them on your web site and they do sell.

------------------------------------
On a different but related note: for the first time in my experience - FTD's codified outsold the pantz off of TF's this last holiday.
---------------------------------------

But I love these new Cookies - Yum. Cookies spell dollars to me.

Bloomz,

What do you mean "some of them would be hard to fill (don't offer them)"? Are you saying your design staff isn't talented enough? Or you don't carry intersting flowers?

If that's the case maybe you should hire some talent visionary designers, and start buying exciting flowers that customers love. :)

RC

As much as it would be nice 'migo...we don't stock hydrangea or phals on a regular basis, nor do many of the shops sending florists (OGs) like us (you and I) send orders to.

But you knew that.

Yum, coffee and cookies.

OR....

Put your own stuff on your own website... it will sell too!

But Yes, I agree, Most of them are very very nice!

Ahh but they've spend the millions doing the market research for us.

I'm with Master J ---

can you post a link to these new products, would like to see them....thx
Sharon

As much as it would be nice 'migo...we don't stock hydrangea or phals on a regular basis,
Question is why not?

I have Hydrangia on SO, and get 1-2 boxes a week... we use them in many things. Just another pretty flower...

Phalenopsis too are a stock item...

If you had them, you'd sell them!

Reactions: marigold and bloomz
or you could just walk out in the greenhouse and cut them.

and then in a couple months cut these things and call them Lily Longiflorum

or cut the flowers off those hanging baskets and call them Pelagorum.

joe

and yes, we can cut our own orchids from time to time

Attachments

• ghsehydrangeas.JPG
    ghsehydrangeas.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
  • grhselilies.JPG
    grhselilies.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
  • grnhseiviyger.JPG
    grnhseiviyger.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: bloomz and LJVF
Which designs are better? Teleflora or an individual florist's unique designs?

This is a question that there really isn't an answer to.

What I can say is that IMO the new items look really good and I truly believe they will sell. I think Cheryl hit it on the head that Teleflora has done it's homework. Remember this is no knock on independent designs, this is an opinion exclusive from a comparison debate.

However, I do think a lot of them are hard to fill on short notice. The ones that I added to my website are those that I usually always have an adequate supply of the flowers and/or hard good in stock weekly. When a local customer orders from my website, I'm not forced to chase for the flowers or container. But for wire ins, chasing for the supplies can mean the difference in filling in the red or black.

This is a dilemma that wire services have, they are forced to come up with menu items that can be universally filled by all member florists. Their hands can be tied when it comes to creativity. Teleflora looks to be trying to break out of that mold, but I'm willing to bet they are seeing a rise in FORwards and REFusals.

master J, Teleflora adds new "web" items frequently. I think the newest are "TFWEB500" and higher.

Chez

Don't knock it off so quickly!

The Be Happy smiley mug is something that CUSTOMERS like! It is easy to do...can be upgraded easily -- colors can be reversed and almost a trained chimp can do it!! We sell bunches of them!!!!!!

I urge all of you to START THINKING ABOUT WHAT APPEALS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS -- NOT JUST TO YOU, AS A FLORAL DESIGNER.

Look at the magazines! Stuff is in cubes; it's low & tight (martha Stewart style); it doesn't have a lot of greens in it. etc, etc. Look at the colors & the color trends.

Your customers are shopping & choosing what they see, and they will buy it, if they see it and if they like it!!

Today's customer, for instance, is NOT a fan of Baby's breath -- in anything!! They like hydrangea, lilies, tulips, iris, bells of ireland, etc.

Start looking for images, and taking pictures that incorporate this type of look -- clean, often monchromatic. Happy flowers (like the smiley mug) appeal to those in the hospital, for instance. We are hearing more and more "budget pressure" questions.

Think like your customer!! It will pay off in spades!

Regards,
Cheryl

But Cheryl I really wanna knock it out the park! Just kidding (sort of)
I know its a big TF seller. And thats great if you sell them. We do tons of low cube arrangments and short fat cylinder vases etc. We're not TF so we could'nt stock the mugs anyway. I do like cute things, but sometimes I draw the line. Once, at a shop long ago, we had too much wine after work and went out in the parking lot to play baseball with Precious moments figurines. I know, its just wrong on so many levels, but felt kinda good.

Which designs are better? Teleflora or an individual florist's unique designs?

This is a question that there really isn't an answer to.

What I can say is that IMO the new items look really good and I truly believe they will sell. I think Cheryl hit it on the head that Teleflora has done it's homework. Remember this is no knock on independent designs, this is an opinion exclusive from a comparison debate.

However, I do think a lot of them are hard to fill on short notice. The ones that I added to my website are those that I usually always have an adequate supply of the flowers and/or hard good in stock weekly. When a local customer orders from my website, I'm not forced to chase for the flowers or container. But for wire ins, chasing for the supplies can mean the difference in filling in the red or black.

This is a dilemma that wire services have, they are forced to come up with menu items that can be universally filled by all member florists. Their hands can be tied when it comes to creativity. Teleflora looks to be trying to break out of that mold, but I'm willing to bet they are seeing a rise in FORwards and REFusals.

master J, Teleflora adds new "web" items frequently. I think the newest are "TFWEB500" and higher.

NOW that was a good post!!!!

TF has some of the best and I do mean the BEST designers on their staff.

I get asked all the time about my pics.... Ya know who gave me the biggest pointers about designing for photographs? TF own Marie Ackerman, that's who. She is no wilting flower, a force to be reckoned with and a dang spectacular designer.
Designing for photos is a bit different than designing for someones coffee table.

Now with that said, that doesn't mean I like every design that TF does. NOR does MY CUSTOMERS IN MY AREA!! Seriously, we can say "carnations are making a comeback" till the cows come home, in my town they will beat you with those carnations!

As far as the most popular items such as "gentle thoughts" spray, white garden dishgarden, and so on, I think those items are popular because of their price point.

And I don't have the room in my cooler, or my weekly flower budget to stock every flower or container that is put out by those TF designs.
And no wholesaler here either.
So I do agree with Bloomz, some of them would be hard to do on short notice. I for sure have the talent, I just may not have the stuff.

So what do I do, I have streamlined tremendously our TF website. It only has stuff that I know will sell and that we can make money.

Now to answer the question, who has better designers TF or FC? Not meaning to impugn anybody's design skills but, I for one, know I'm a pretty good designer, but I wouldn't say I was as good as Marie, Wilton, Hitomi, Susan, Sharon, Els, etc..
I'm a realist...

Status
Not open for further replies.