Article Three Design Trends That Will Dominate In 2015

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
Editor's note: This week's story comes from Joe Guggia, AIFD, of JP Designs.

Busy, busy, busy… that’s what we want this time of year! The holiday season is a florist’s dream: we get to create while bringing in some much needed cash. But as that dust settles, reality will hit. Sure enough, 2015 will require continued marketing and thinking about what’s going on in the floral/decor world that will help us bring in more clients, while keeping our existing ones happy.

You might ask, “Why do I need to know what trends are going on? I’m only a florist after all!” My take is, the more we know, the better job we do. So much of our business revolves around knowing what is perceived as “cool,” up-to-the-minute designs.

Based on my research, here are some style trends you can take to the bank in 2015:

Shabby Chic: Many of you moan about the burlap and the many brides who ask for it. The fact is, customers love it and you can be sure this look will be here through next year. If you’re tired of it, give it some twists! Show brides how you can glam it up. Show them how on-trend you are by putting together your own catalogue with shabby chic designs, before they email you dozens of Pinterest images. Show how you can take this big trend and tweak it with personal touches to make their wedding the special day it is.

Mid Century Modern: The Mad Men series really helped with the rebirth of this classic style. How about changing up your showroom to represent that period, or even just a corner of the shop? Think: some sleek curtain panels as a backdrop with a contemporary table (Ikea has loads of affordable options) to show your wares, which will start a great conversation.

Renaissance: Gorgeous jewel tones (deep green, plum, royal blue) are coming back in vogue. It’s time to dig out some stored fabric in these colors to add to your displays. As you experience a palette cleanse, you’re bound to come up with ideas for your artificial market; add new, interesting décor to your shop and you’ll give your client base new ideas for their own decor. If they adjust their style, they are sure to need more of your product to blend with their existing accessories.

Now to the flower trends (about time, right?): Everyone has different styles they gravitate to (modern, whimsical, romantic). To set yourself apart from the competition, I suggest changing those styles just a bit to represent design trends that are happening in the world. You could upgrade some burlap ribbon with some thicker, glitzy wire. If they love contemporary styling, try using all white flowers with architectural design, using a gray container for the vessel. For those old world clients, gather the rich, deep tones that maybe you hadn’t thought about using for a while. Surprise them with a twist of an old favorite.

2015 is going to be an incredible year. There is so much hope in my being that I want to transfer that hope to you all. Hope to maintain our health so we create wonder in the world. Hope that we understand what our clients want and really be able to give it to them. Hope that we listen to them, exciting them with our knowledge of what’s going on in the design world. Remember: the more knowledge we have, the better florist we can be to them.