tips on cutting down the amount of greens in an arrangement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEVER tape. I do use a few pieces of greens (maybe varigated pittisporum or other nice textures) and when I have enough coverage, I use a Mini Cable tie. (electrical tie) I put it together in my hands and tie it off.

This method works for all sizes of green bases from miniatures to very large designs. The flowers will always stay in place and you have created a wonderful grid.
I have tried this with more traditional shaped vases, but cannot for the life if me get it to work with cubes, especially 4" cubes. Especially 4"cubes, or even 5" and 6" of all hydrangea. Try as I might, those fat buggers always spring right out of the vase, or roll out. Tried the willow/lemon stems layered across the opening, and the hydrangea pulled it right out. Both times this was for wedding work, no greens, no accent flowers, just fat clouds of the hydrangea. Don't get me started on the ever popular cube of all gerbera, no greens. It always amazes me that something so simple looking takes such finnagling to arrange.

Love the look of these, love the $$ they sell for, don't like using the clear tape, but it seems to work the best for these ... I don't tape other than those shorty cubes & cylinders.

Hi Carol-- this sounds like a great technique! To clarify, do you cable tie just the greens to create a grid, or the opposite... cable tie the blooms and insert into grid of greens in vase? Thanks in advance!

I usually start out with a minimum amount of greens in my hands and create a greens bouquet. I vary my product according to what is available or what I want the end result to look like. After I make the basic greens bouquet ( and add whatever you like) and then use the cable tie . Then you can start adding anything you want to complete the design.....likes flowers, props, more greens, etc.

This technique can be played with and thousands of scenerios can be achieved. I think it works especially well on the very small square vases because a regular interspersing of base greens tends to come apart or fall out unless you are an expert at it. It is much quicker than making a tape grid and also looks much nicer.

when doing event work, I make up the number of greenery grids I need and just plop them into the vase as I get ready to design them.
Carol Bice

Reactions: 1 person
I have tried this with more traditional shaped vases, but cannot for the life if me get it to work with cubes, especially 4" cubes. Especially 4"cubes, or even 5" and 6" of all hydrangea. Try as I might, those fat buggers always spring right out of the vase, or roll out. Tried the willow/lemon stems layered across the opening, and the hydrangea pulled it right out. Both times this was for wedding work, no greens, no accent flowers, just fat clouds of the hydrangea. Don't get me started on the ever popular cube of all gerbera, no greens. It always amazes me that something so simple looking takes such finnagling to arrange.

Love the look of these, love the $$ they sell for, don't like using the clear tape, but it seems to work the best for these ... I don't tape other than those shorty cubes & cylinders.

The reason I came up with this techniques is because of the small square vases. The greens never seems to stay as well as I wanted them to. Please, play around with the mini cable ties and different types of greens before you give up on this. My favorite is to start with varigated pittisporum, interlace it, can add another type green and then tie off.

I have noticed that some of the other designers that I showed this technique to have a little trouble with the first few they do until they obtain the right touch.

ON medium size vases, I only use this method 1/2 the time because I really like interlacing different types of greens and they don't always need to be tied off to work well. On large vases, I really like to use a very strong base of heavier materials along with the greens to make a sturdy base for large flowers. I think I use a lot less greens using this method than any other technique I have tried over the years.
Carol Bice

Have you tried to do a tight hand tie and place in the cubes ?
Works pretty good, actually, but better with 5 or 6 inch or larger cube.
4 is just too small to dicker with. I make the bouquet in my hand and
use covered wire to tape up high.Helps to use a fat leaf like fatsia or
philo for the ends, really make it look bigger.

I have noticed that some of the other designers that I showed this technique to have a little trouble with the first few they do until they obtain the right touch.
That would be me. I'll try some more, with cooler arr's. It's mostly these brides who want the "no green" look ... though with hydrangea I could easily hide that pitt or whatever type of greenery the "cage" is made from.

Have you tried to do a tight hand tie and place in the cubes ?
Works pretty good, actually, but better with 5 or 6 inch or larger cube.
4 is just too small to dicker with. I make the bouquet in my hand and
use covered wire to tape up high.Helps to use a fat leaf like fatsia or
philo for the ends, really make it look bigger.
No .... more techniques to try for the cooler!

thank you
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.