Was Your Valentine's Profitable?

Parth Kapadia

Jan 19, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
globalpetals.com
State / Prov
Illinois
Hi,

This VDay, we saw a lot of damaged product, falling heads, and slim stems from local wholesalers. Not entirely sure why....

Certainly wasn't the case for our customers @GP!

We hope you made a lot of money this V-Day! If you were successful, could you share some reasons why? Or why not?

I am calling it a success even though sales were down because we had a major snow storm that made the 13th a bust. That said, my careful ordering meant no waste, and I bought roses Farm direct and was very pleased with the quality and I sold out. I can't do much about the weather. If I count the entire week 10-14 I am only down $300 due to heavy funeral work the beginning of the week which also helped me use flowers that would have been needed for VD if it normal holiday.

The snow has been huge across the country. In general, I've seen so many damaged flowers due to late shipments in the last few months. There's not much anybody can do about that.....

That's great to hear that you sold out, but taking that you're down, is that normal among the local competition in MA?

Traditionally, VD is supposed to be the day we all bank on! I'm curious to know how it went profitability wise in other parts of the country.

We were able to keep our roses prices at $59.95 (50cm) longer $79.95. Being so close to Miami, we sent a truck down and came back full and at the price we wanted. We also spent more time training our temps on how to sell an order not take one. Set a goal of 10% over last year and then geared towards that be keeping us in front of the base.......Sold cash and carry roses at $34.95 colors and reds at $39.95. Sold thousands.

I don't think my competition increased their sales either but no way to know that. Major snow the day before will affect sales no matter who you are I imagine. No use kicking yourself over it! Unless you act like the DOGs and take orders you know you can't deliver, you have to be careful in a blizzard not to over promise. Ove promise like them may get you the sale but it won't keep you the customer!