Article Watch Out For The #floralflashmob!

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
There's a lot of bad news disseminated daily on Facebook —from the sad (Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams filing for divorce) to the downright sickening (ISIS beheading 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians).

To balance out all the malaise in the world, some floral professionals are promoting a social media movement called #FloralFlashMob.

"A group of designers have decided to try and fill facebook with pictures of flowers and beauty instead of sad and depressing images," explained Walter Fedyshyn, AIFD, of City Scents in Chicago. "When someone is given the challenge they are supposed to post five original floral designs for five days in a row, marked with the hashtag #FloralFlashMob, and then challenge another designer."

Fedyshyn, who's participated twice, has received lots of nice messages in response to the photos he's picked.

"One was of a bridesmaid's bouquet I did and the bride commented to say how happy she was to relive the happy memories of her special day," he said, adding that it's almost as fun for him to collect images as it is to see the "likes" and comments roll after he's posted.

"It's an exercise in commitment—five photos in five days!—but it was fun and it taught me about my Facebook following," said J Schwanke, AAF, AIFD, PFCI, the host of JTV at uBloom.com. He said he was challenged by a friend who he "just can't say no to...it was like a double dog dare."

Here's hoping you get mobbed!

Reactions: theRKF