Who's your favorite "pro" in the flower biz?

I agree with all the names listed. Some really terrific people. I think another pro in the field that I really like and that is TF's Marie Ackerman. If TF would put her front and center of their operation, the new face of TF, I think she could turn that company around

Reactions: Taylors_Flowers
I wouldn't even begin to start naming some of the greats. There are so many. But, I like certain people for certain type of design and certain learning experiences. And some of the greats are still being discovered.

Some are inspirational in bringing out the designer inside you; some are wonderful at techniques; some are outstanding speakers that can impart so much knowledge; some are very focused in their particular field of interest; some are just funny and entertaining; some are like a Bobbi Ecker (how do you explain her?) some understand the fiscal implications of doing design; etc.

But, the one thing the greats have in common is, they are not afraid to work at their trade and continue to learn througout their lives.

First, I have to say "THANK YOU"... cause my Name got mentioned so many times... but at the same time... I owe so much of what I know, and how I behave to great mentors... and friends...
1. Haskel Eargle... at 14 he taught me to design with carnations and daisy pompons and "make it pretty"... HE is numero UNO in my book! The most Photographed Flower Designer of all TIME!
2. Phil Rulloda... FOR Making ME Learn the Elements and Principles of Design... He made me Hear them, Write Them, Read them and Repeat them... for that I am ETERNALLY Grateful! I recite them every time I make an arrangement!
3. Mel Schwanke, My Dad... he's not an Accredited Designer... but he can still put more carnations in a casket spray and have it have so much depth and dimension... and beauty! (plus... he's my DAD!!! and A REAL FLORIST... like so many people here!)
4. For WIT, Emotion and Creativity... Richard Seaboldt and Bobbi Ecker... I affectionately call them my Flower Industry Surrogate "Parents"... they leave no stone unturned!!!
5. For Pure Unadulterated... pull out all the stops Knock your SOCKS Off ... and make you say "HOLY COW".... Gary Schott!

That's My TWO Cents... Thanks again... to everyone!!! I appreciate it!!!

It's interesting to see that most of the faves listed here are American.
I like to look Europe for the new styles that are coming up.
Not to say that America doesn't have lots of greats... that list could go on and on.... and if I started, it may not end...
But how about Gregor lersh or Per Anderson, or Tor Gunderson ?!? or Canadians Hitomi Gillian or Pierre Methot?
Or for that matter Marianne Seuss or Heidi Oschker.
Truth is, many of our greatest inspirations come from designers that do not have the press, or the "flavor of the Month",
even though they are creative, exotic, and often more forward thinking than the old stand-bys.
I've been fortunate to have seen most of the "stars" show their stuff, and usually I'm most inspired by the new-comers who are reaching for their dream, not just trying to say amid the clouds.
JP

Reactions: anytimeflowers