Wrapping presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol Bice

Oct 16, 2004
Hurst, Texas
State / Prov
Texas
While looking at some of the gorgeous photos of some of the Christmas shops, I noticed some really pretty packages wrapped to enhance the displays.

It made me think.....Since most of us have all the materials it takes to create beautiful packages, why won't we capitalize on it more? It is a tremendous way to get rid of one of a kind novelty items and odds and ends of ribbons, etc. Any of you could really outdo the department store wraps with our extra level of creativity.

When I had my store, I had a few families that would just bring in all their gifts for me to custom wrap. You can really charge plenty, because department stores charge a lot for a less dramatic look. Set out a display of florist designed packages to get their attention and go from there.

This seems to me to be a good way to pick up a few extra bucks during this economic times. Since presents are not usually perishable, you can do them in your slow time or in the evening.

Carol Bice

Reactions: 4 people
Great thread, Carol, and great idea.

I also heard or read once that when you get post-Christmas shipments in, it's a good idea to wrap them and put them under the tree for those of us with not much in the way of storage space.

One of the classes that I'm offering this season is "Extraordinary Bows." I'm going to think about taking the idea a bit farther. Thanks Carol!

We have done gift wrapping in the past, not sure we are doing it this year. We're a bit short handed and I need to spend my time making $50 bouquets rather than getting $10 for gift wrapping that takes the same amount of time. I enjoy the gift wrapping if I had the time to really make it pretty and frufru it up.

Trish

The gift wrapping I do usually is $20.00 to $35.00 per package. I agree $10.00 is not much for your time unless it is done at slow periods. Also, I usually don't have a large dollar amount of inventory in this because I use things that are left overs that I need to really move.

Usually the packages are prettier than the actual gift. I am talking far more than a fancy bow. I think every flower shop has a lot of odds and ends that seem unsalable until you incorporate them into a creative design on a package.

I still have people bring me presents to wrap so they will have my signature look and they are willing to pay to impress the recipient.

You can actually make up a lot of this in the slow summer months and just add the final touches when you get the packages.

Carol Bice

Wow, that's some nice money for wrapping a gift, we don't get many folks willing to pay that, they want it for department store prices, or free. We have odds and ends but I have been trying to work them into silk pieces, if they've been around too long, we discount them before using them. Good idea about working them up ahead of time though, especially since we have used set rolls of gift wrap.

Trish

I loved using those little baby oasis stick ons in the center of bows to create floral bows for gift baskets. Not many want to pay for them, but they sure are dramatic for the high end crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.