Yaaaaaaaaayyy.... I got a bride with NO BUDGET!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, but remember to be paid in full weeks before the wedding. I remember reading an article in a floral magazine years ago. There was a BIG SOCIAL wedding on the west coast. The mother wanted the best of everything for her daughter, if I remember correctly the flower bill was $30 to 50 thousand, the florist did not get deposits from the prominent family. GUESS WHAT? The mother declared bankruptcy after the wedding,how very sad for all involved!!

oh that's awful. I ALWAYS collect in full before the wedding. I won't order unless I've been paid. I can't imagine all that money and there is nothing you can do.....

Okay, now just to add my experience, have her place a deposit that will accurately reflect the size of the wedding.

In the past two weeks we have done two 10,000 weddings (no, not joking, I need a vacation and a massage) and both brides were very different.

The first claimed to have no budget but after two 500 centerpiece mock-ups she began to nickel and dime the heck out of us. Luckily we took a 2,000 deposit, so she was as invested as we were into developing her final plan.

The second probably could have gone even higher but we were able to discern what she wanted and price it out accordingly.

I PROMISE you, they have a budget. It may seem like after you have put a ton of time into developing one sort of event that they can actually afford 1/3 of it.

The deposit is the seal on the deal. If they seem at all shaken by more than a 200.00 deposit, then it is time to talk about the real nuts and bolts.

Every bride has big ideas, don't let those grow too big without some reality mixed in or you'll end up losing a bride or at least making it a painful process.

We have only had one wedding without a budget. My son (who works at the shop) got married a couple of months ago. He truly didn't care how much the flowers cost, he wanted the best :)

Curious Ted - how much you figure you went on it?

We did Twila's daughter and I think it came in at over 10K - Twila could (and likely will) correct me on this.

I know - who's counting???

Reactions: 1 person
Well... So much for my NO BUDGET bride... She has decided to skip it and have a destination wedding... I can't say that I blame her. She really wasn't in to the whole process and she was having other people do all the planning for her... and from what I gathered from the people I have been dealing with (WHO CAN'T MAKE A DECISION TO SAVE THEIR LIVES) things have been getting out of hand and not a whole lot was accomplished... even her "so called" planner...(she was a friend of the family that WISHES she was a wedding planner) was very undecided.

But the good news is, I got the $200 NON REFUNDABLE deposit and she sent me another $100 in the mail with a nice card thanking me for all the time and effort I have put into everything... so i can't really complain about that...

So i say to her, Congratulations and have a great time, but you should take me with you so I can do your bouquet for you.... (It was worth a try, right). I could tell she was totally relieved and SO MUCH happier with how things worked out. After all It is HER day and it should be the BEST day of her life....

Reactions: 1 person
Well just for the record Laurel, i think your ideas sounded lovely anyway. And, if she ever has another occasion she will most definately come to you so all may not be lost.

I love the idea of using loads of dendrobian in an arrangement with uplighters. I was thinking dyed birch to give height in the centre. May try this out for fun!!

Laurel,

I think I'd send her a card, thanking her for the additional money, and expressing how honored your shop was that she had chosen you for her special day, and that her happiness is the most important thing to you.

Say how you hope her destination wedding will be everything she could hope for, and that once the wedding/honeymoon are concluded don't hesitate to call on your shop for her floral needs. Since she and hubby are doctors, she'll need a good florist she can depend on, you know!

This will go a long way to negate any guilt she may have for "Stiffin" you
on what presumably was going to be a big $$ maker for your business.
And she will see that you are a consumate professional yourself, and no hard feeling exist on your part.

Huh, maybe even send her a nice arrangement with that card.

Just an idea. Sorry you lost the bigg one, but you can keep the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.