entranceway wedding decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marie g bushnell

Mar 17, 2009
warminster
State / Prov
pa
One of my brides saw two cedar trees about 6' tall decorated with fresh flowers at the entrance of the reception outside.
Her wedding is in April and these trees won't be there. I am trying to come up with something of a "wow" for her that's $ reasonable.
the only idea was to have footed urns with lattice cut to form a pyramid with an ivy plant at the base (long vines) wired up the lattice, adding other Cut Greenery and moss and lilies. I'm hoping I don't have to cement the lattice in the urn, although it's going to be about 7' including the urn. I think the bare wire topiaries are about $70.

Any ideas that would be simple and reasonably priced.

maybe you could go to lowes or somewhere like that and get 2 of the tall pointed shrubs (arbovita, may be the name) put them over in pretty pots, trim them like a topiary and decorate. A lot of garden centers have them on sale now. after the wedding you could set them out in your yard or decorate the entrance to your shop for different holidays????

How about this.
Cut 6 peices of 1/2 " dowling (or bamboo, or whatever) in equal lenghts ( 5 ft or so).
Fill a 15" round lomey tray with sakcrete,( or plaster of paris, or concrete ) and inset the dowels into the dish, at equal intervals. Bring the tops of the dowels together, and tie them with wire, essentially making a tee-pee shape.
Once the sakcrete has set up hard, tie italian ruscus to the frame you have made, by wiring the ruscus up each pole, and then around all the poles.Then you can tuck in all the flowers you want,(usually I put them into water tubes we have covered with galex leaves, so you don't see the tubes. You will acheive the same look for way less money.
I suggest the 15" lomey because they perfectly fit ON TOP of the urns I use for rentals all the time. Just measure yours urns first, to determine what size of saucer type container will work best for you.
We often do this, and have never had a problem.
Delivery is easy, because it comes apart into 2 peices, and if well constructed, you can even lay them down.
If you are lucky enough have access to southern smilax, it could be even cheaper, and faster to create. (I LOVE the stuff, but by the time I get it across the border into Canada, it costs me about 400.00 a case!!)
I offer the constructed base as a rental, and recovered the initial cost in the first use. Then I can rent them out many times, because the tray with the tee-pee support never deteriorates.

It might be cost effective to look into renting the trees, ficus or boxwood or the like to decorate if you don't carry them yourself. There is someone here that does that for a very reasonable fee and delivers and picks them up again. He even has lighted or not and different pots available.

Reactions: marie g bushnell
Lots of really awesome silk arborvitaes that you can buy, then rent out then use in the shop and rent out again, we rent them here.

Reactions: marie g bushnell
Joanne, Thanks for sharing your creativity, I'm always thinking after making a creation for a bride, "how do I transport it", easily. Yours sounds simple enough and least expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.