Status
Not open for further replies.

jaloweaifd

Jun 25, 2008
Minot
www.lowesfloral.com
State / Prov
ND
I am considering printing a tag and attaching it on top of the enclosure card that alerts receipients to the fact that although their order was designed, delivered, and is guaranteed by my company, that the order was not placed with us. At this point i need some advice...

1. Per my reading of the Membership agreements with both wire services (FTD and TEL) this is legal, at least it's not expressly prohibited. Am I correct?

2. How can I phrase this concept so as not to turn off a recipient, confuse a recipient, or tick off a sender?

3. Is this something that other shops would be interested in doing, if they fill OG orders?

--James

Back in my WS chain gang days, I put a tag on those orders that said something to the effect that the sender could have saved money by calling us direct instead of paying the middleman to call us. I don't remember how I worded it...there was a thread I think I talked about this in on FC..... I think.

I did this for a few years before I stopped filling OG orders and got out of FTD. My "disclaimer" went something like this:
"Dear Recipient, this order has been sent to Millinocket Floral by an internet web site. Sometimes the internet florist is not an actual real florist. We have attempted to fulfill the senders wishes as close as we can. When you call or write the sender to thank them for your gift, please mention our nationwide toll free phone number and our website so they may speak directly to us to help guide them in their selection. We hope you enjoy your floral gift."....then our 800# and website address followed.

We did pick up well over 60% of those who would order every holiday through 800 Flowers, FTD.com and even some FY and FST. It's a small town where you "know everyone and their families"....and you remember names and card messages.

And I did have some florist friends who poohed this disclaimer....but when our first Mother's Day came without filling OG's and .com's orders (FTD free) and our $$ were in our checking account from direct orders, they took a different view.

I did this for a few years before I stopped filling OG orders and got out of FTD. My "disclaimer" went something like this:
"Dear Recipient, this order has been sent to Millinocket Floral by an internet web site. Sometimes the internet florist is not an actual real florist. We have attempted to fulfill the senders wishes as close as we can. When you call or write the sender to thank them for your gift, please mention our nationwide toll free phone number and our website so they may speak directly to us to help guide them in their selection. We hope you enjoy your floral gift."....then our 800# and website address followed.

We did pick up well over 60% of those who would order every holiday through 800 Flowers, FTD.com and even some FY and FST. It's a small town where you "know everyone and their families"....and you remember names and card messages.

I like the wording on this. Where did you put the disclaimer? On the message card back or on a separate marketing piece?

A separate piece of paper just typed and printed out by MS Word. Put on the card pick behind our envelope or I tucked it into the outside of the envelope back.

Hello James...

For the last year, I have been enclosing a printed card with "those" kind of orders:

"We hope you enjoy this floral gift! The Sender purchased this item from an Out-Of-Town Floral Marketer. 44% in FEES and COMMISSIONS were deducted before we received the order. For better value and a 20% DISCOUNT, please tell the sender about us!"

To date, I have not received ONE comment!

I suspect this is kinda like making Pee-Pee in a blue serge suit: It's warm and satisfying... and nobody notices very much!

All the best!

Bill

Reactions: master J
1. Per my reading of the Membership agreements with both wire services (FTD and TEL) this is legal, at least it's not expressly prohibited. Am I correct?
The ONLY rule anymore, is there ARE NO RULES!

I mean what are they going to do to you? Kick you out... big deal.

I have an order for today, sitting waiting for a cancel, I have received this same order 6 times in 4 days, and told them every time I would **NOT** fill it...tomorrow they will call wanting to know why it was not delivered, and I will ask, "why didn't you respond to my ASK message?"...

I like Bill's note...but alas, I no longer need it as I do not fill for OG's and can not understand why anyone would.

Rhonda, I really like your wording ..gets to the point without any finger pointing or going into too much detail (does the customer really care about numbers and percentages at that moment?)

I've gotten a few and think I will borrow this if you don't mind:)
I'm not a member of any ws but sometimes when the other shops in my area don't have what the order calls for, or are closed,and they give me a call.

recipients probably don't want to know "monies" coming out of the total but the sender probably would like to know what their end result was. I filled to value and any questions regarding the design by the sending entity, they were told to have the sender call me direct or no answers. Actually Boss and I had a conversation or two regarding "skimmed orders" with positive endings....

Actually Boss and I had a conversation or two regarding "skimmed orders" with positive endings....
Yep.... it does often require a connection to the original sender, and our only way to do that is through the sending of "something" along with the gift.

I'll have to check (if I get another) but if you have the ability, incoming orders from HQ had the senders email address included in the coding of the transmittal that you can grab and add to a database for direct marketing. Not sure if they have this fixed or not, I have not looked in a while.

An opposing viewpoint

Quite frankly I am amazed that any flower shop would accept an order then promptly and publicly trash the individual (sending shop, website, or or order gatherer) that sent them the order.

It's absolutely no wonder that the flower industry is suffering, what impression does this leave with the consumer (both the sender and recipient).

Let's all try to keep in mind that these flowers were originally sent to someone as a gift. They are not your opportunity to make a political statement about your thoughts about the injustices in the flower industry.

If you truly believe in your convictions, simply refuse the order rather than alienating another consumer from purchasing flowers. We have enough ways already to do that as an industry ranging from poor quality product, substitutions, poorly trained operators, and high prices.

As an industry how many times can we shoot ourselves in the foot and still survive.

Quite frankly I am amazed that any flower shop would accept an order then promptly and publicly trash the individual (sending shop, website, or or order gatherer) that sent them the order.

It's absolutely no wonder that the flower industry is suffering, what impression does this leave with the consumer (both the sender and recipient).

Let's all try to keep in mind that these flowers were originally sent to someone as a gift. They are not your opportunity to make a political statement about your thoughts about the injustices in the flower industry.

If you truly believe in your convictions, simply refuse the order rather than alienating another consumer from purchasing flowers. We have enough ways already to do that as an industry ranging from poor quality product, substitutions, poorly trained operators, and high prices.

As an industry how many times can we shoot ourselves in the foot and still survive.

These are the same poins I try to make to my driver when he delivers to very pricey houses and doesn't get a tip...These were sent as a gift they had no idea they were coming, they did not solicit them themselves and probably do not want to get involved unless it is from a mother to a daughter or a husaband to a wife kind of deal...

I to think that these letters can make a shop look a bit bad. I have seen some that are way better than others...

Reactions: bloomz

I understand from a grower's perpective why you feel this way. It is a touch different when you are a florist in competition with these people. We do what we need to survive, as you do also.

I want to add one thing. I truly believe in the free market. I believe that simply choosing not to participate in filling these orders is a healthy option. I also believe in healthy competition because it keeps everyone on their toes. I will always be forthright in educating my customers how they can save money by going direct to a real local florist........without apology. If you danced in my head you would understand that I think this helps, not hurts, the industry.

Dear Sir, I never mentioned the sending "entity", just made it known to the recepient that the sender's wishes could have been better fulfilled had they called us direct. Especially because I have a very limited variety of wholesalers and flowers through those wholesalers and most of the notorious OG's have very specific recipes. It was to educate both the recepient and the sender, which I may add, has worked very well for me.

Reactions: inferno63
I have to agree with Inferno on something here...I would rather se florists not fill for those companies than put those flyers out...if the way they do business doesn't work for your company, reject the order and don't do orders for them...easy as that rather than airing out the floral biz dirty laundry....

I stand corrected....Doug is not a grower. However, I stand by the rest. I will continue to be an advocate for my customers without apologizing. I attach the true story on OGs and WS on everything I deliver except sympathy. I spoke loudly with the WS when I decided to be WS free. However, I still consider them competition and I will compete. In business you can compete ethically or unethically (depending on your conscience) and I consider educating my customers as ethical. When I let them know how much they can save, I win and they win. It may not be good for the WS and OG industries but I think it is just hunkie-dorie for the floral industry.

Reactions: Dorothy and mikec
There have been previous discussions about using incomings to recruit direct orders.

Rather than dissing WSs, let me repeat my suggestion yet again:

1) Take a photo of the arrangement and upload it online. (The Florist Blogs gallery allows us to post new photos in just a couple minutes.)

2) Write the URL of the picture down and include it with the gift card, telling the recipient he/she can share the photo location with the sender to see what was delivered.

3) The sender can then see what you really delivered and now has your shop contact info!

Let your work be the proof that you are the local source for fresh flowers and should be called direct. :)

You'll also build a nice collection of your own images.

I would consider "dissing" as calling them names and being deceptive in order to manipulate public opinion. I am not dissing them anymore than Pepsi "disses" Coca Cola. It is all true and it offers the consumer an educated choice.

I do incorporate my own pics into marketing but not in the way suggested here. I ask for the sender's email address and send them a picture of what the recipient actually receives. Since I have 100% of the sender's information, I can do that direct with the paying customer. With WS the sender's information in guarded better than bail-out money!

Reactions: Dorothy
I would have to agree with Doug on this one also, but the consumer needs to be educated one way or another.

One should use those orders to market themselves, but negatively promoting against anything is always dangerous.

I would like to see a retail florist website put up by someone that positively promotes finding a local florist. I have grown to believe that stating "real" and using other terms that imply there are "non-real" entities out there is not the way to go. I am guilty of it myself.

Promoting the "Local Retail Florist" would be the way to go in my opinion. Focusing on our positives, rather than the uncontrolled negatives of the industry is win win.

I find this very interesting

Inferno,

Trust me, I would never suggest that you not act as an advocate for your customer first and foremost.....however.

In the case of your fulfilling an incoming wire order is the sending member not actually your customer?

After all, they are the one who originally generated the order and who in turn selected you to fulfill it. They place an order with you, you fill and deliver it, and in turn you are paid for it. Does that not make them the customer in this transaction?

Again I would suggest that if you have principles stick by them and refuse the order rather than accept it and attempt to discredit the sending member in any way, shape or form. The fact remains that as sending members we all place our trust in the fulfilling shop to look after our interests at the point of delivery, not to intentionally undermine the way we do business.

By the way just for the record, I personally consider any flower shop with a website an Order Gatherer. There are simply varying degrees of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.