1-800-flowers and Delivery Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Nov 2, 2002
Toronto
www.lakeshoreflowers.com
I had to go on to 1-800-flowers website to check out the recipe for an incoming order and noticed that the price of the item was 54.99 PLUS a delivery charge. My order was for only the 54.99. So I looked further and found that the customer paid an additional 9.99 fee and the words "delivery" and "service" both appeared in the description of this charge. (sorry I don't want to go back there right now and get the exact wording)

So I called 1-800-flowers and got the first person on the line and asked about this. She told me two things. 1) "Well this is the only money we make on the order. We do have to make something on this, sir. " 2) "If you ever find you need the additional delivery charge, do you know how to do an "Ask" on your Mercury machine, sir?. Well just "ask" for a $5 delivery charge and we will be happy to give it to you."

I filled her in on the 20% and the rebates and then recapped by saying "so you collect the delivery charge from each customer but do not pass on any part of it to the filling florist unless they ask you to?" Response" "Yes, sir".

How can this possibly be legal?

Some day before I die I would like "the public" to know just what the filling florist ends up with on each out of town order he gets. That's all. Once the consumer knows the facts I am sure they will take much more care about finding a florist that is actually located in the town where the delivery is to be made. They all can do the math and handicap the odds for success by either going direct or indirect.

I couldn't fint that on the 1-800 site but I know they charge it. Though so do most other websites. Alot of the call it a "service/delivery" charge. This is because if for some reason they need more money it is taken out of this charge.

Ever wonder why 1-800 can up a flower arrangement so quick when you ask for a price change. There is several florists that chat here on the board that use the "service/delivery" charge on their website.

There is nothing illegal about it. They are using it for what they said they would a delivery or service charge.

Now I am not saying I like 1-800-flowers because I don't. I don't even fill their orders.

The point is

when you get into the site to purchase an item there is a link that says "Standard Shipping Charges"...when you click that.... you are told all about Delivery rules and that the charge is 9.99.....So if they collect 9.99 for delivery how can 1-800 (legally) keep it?

Just try that one out on FTD. YOU collect a "delivery charge" for an outgoing order and NOT add it into the total Dollar value you are sending the filling shop. In days gone by that little mercury man would fly right off your front door. A SERVICE CHARGE is a different matter. If 1-800-flowers said it was a service charge for taking the order & sending it out that is a horse of a different colour. The customer knows that it is going to 1-800......(in my opinion 1-800 is trying to avoid the customer knowing this is THEIR charge). But a "standard shipping charge" followed by information about delivery gives the impression that the filling florist gets that money for delivery and therefore NOT going into the 1-800 pocket. It was us florists that have finally trained the consumer to expect a delivery charge. But it should be coming to US the one that does the deliveries.... not the order TAKER.

You know what? I really don't want to knock myself out this week just to have someone else (many someone else's) take the top 30% off my orders! I'm getting tired of this. Now even the funeral homes want (would you believe? ) 35 % for simply taking the orders. No wonder our prices are going up and the consumer is finding alternatives to floral gifts!

Too many stangers are on our payrolls....they make the gravy, we do the work. I am (almost) at the point of NOT sending orders to florists I respect. If I like them why would I want them to work for nothing?

The rule IS !!

THere are no rules anymore !!

800 has been doing this for years, and yes they do give you funds if you "ask" I did it that way for a time, sent an "ask" on EVERY order they sent in, and yes I got the money, but it is no longer worth MY TIME to fix THEIR JUNK !!

I simply cut 800 put of MY BIZ and no longer fill for them, further more, I called them and told them to put me on their DO NOT USE LIST (yes they do have one)...and now, I do not even get their orders to mess with...

If more folks would do this, the floral world would be a better place...

I told them about 3 years ago not to call me any more and voila! Ain't been pestered yet!
But my colleague down the street that fills their A** off for them, told me they deliver in an unmarked van with no name on the envelope cuz they get so many complaints! Kind of "ring the doorbell and run" syndrome. They said then the complaints will have to go back thru 800, and somehow *think* they are protecting their reputation this way. Real smart, huh? NOT!
Saying NO is MUCH easier!:D

Hey bloomz,

What's the name of that Florist, think I'll contact them for membership. I had another shop in mind as my first choice, but they don't seem to be interested in supporting my firm.

I wonder....

If'n somebody was to print up, some envelopes with 800's logo and number on them, and use those for these orders, that are always under value...

And all the complaints went to HQ....

Nah, that just would not be right,,,,

I have a friend in a nearby city who puts this on his dotcon orders - "It was our pleasure to fill this order for you from FTD.COM. It was filled to their specifications from their recipe. If there is a problem with flower Quality, please call us, but if there is a problem with flower Content or Value, please address your calls to them at 800-xxx-xxxx." Then he follows it with a "call us direct next time for better value"
He said it works so-so, but it is a way of directing complaints back to them I guess.
Myself I DON'T think it would be my PLEASURE to fill anything for them, and gladly refused my 1 and only order from them - and it was $65 for a dozen roses we ony charge $54.95 for. NOPE couldn't clip it or keep the change, or fill to extra value, don't want to start anything with them.:( Rather have my competitors get the complaints, since the sender is likely right here in Corvallis also!

BUTT you know what? Even WITH their logo on it, since they have the POWER, both 800 and dotcon, to adjust my statement charges without my permission, well, who wants to play there?

And for Paul above, good point! I am not really doing you a favor if I like you to send you orders. ONLY if it's a tit for tat relationship and I fill yours too. Don't that suck?

How about the ones advertising FREE DELIVERY? Anyone know ANYONE who REALLY delivers free? Big Fat Lie I would say...

Vd is one of those times when I'll take all of Da Dots orders I can get, **** 80 ucks plus delivery on a DZ....

Sheesh, mine are only 55+dc....

But I do see your point...JB....pointy little head that is :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.