Article 1-800-Flowers swings to a loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 1-800-flowers is struggling because they so far have failed to establish itself as a value brand.

1-800's entire brand revolves around the convenience of ordering over the Internet. They really don't have anything else to rely on.

The same is not necessarily true for FTD and ProFlowers.

FTD does have a historical brand other than just convenience, even though that brand might be deteriorating.

ProFlowers, on the other hand, has a value brand. They are probably at the strongest position among Internet flower retailers.

In theory, independent florists can take advantage of recession and aggressively promote the fact that we provide a better value than 1-800's or FTD.

Unfortunately, independent florists, as a whole, carry the baggage of being over-priced. So most of us are not capable of capitalizing on the recession.

But it may not be too late. We can, for example, start a campaign with a slogan like "Why waste your $$$ on middlemen?"

Reactions: mikec and CHR
1-800's entire brand revolves around the convenience of ordering over the Internet. They really don't have anything else to rely on.
I concur... I think, well kind of...um...

I wonder how the 800B&M stores are doing. I know there are 4 in Boston now... word I got from the owner "It's a LOT of work"... well duh, what did you think it would be...playtime?

Maybe I'll call Tim this week and see if I can get a handle on how it goes...

. word I got from the owner "It's a LOT of work"... well duh, what did you think it would be...playtime?

Hey

If we all collected $1 from every person who came into our shop and said "working here must be so much FUN" we would all be retired and sitting on a beach somewhere......

:)

Reactions: Tuberose
I concur... I think, well kind of...um...

I wonder how the 800B&M stores are doing. I know there are 4 in Boston now... word I got from the owner "It's a LOT of work"... well duh, what did you think it would be...playtime?

Maybe I'll call Tim this week and see if I can get a handle on how it goes...

One of the florists in my city went from an LFC to a full fledged 800-flowers franchise...They were closed for a month and a half to do the renovations and have been open for 1 month now...I have had many people in saying they no longer want to use them because they don't like 800-flowers....They have also just recently put up signs that state they are locally owned and operated, that says lots to me on how much biz they feel they have lost in the change...

I talked with the manager and she said that they made the change because 800-flowers promisedthem more orders, they needed to take a loan out to do the renovations and buy the francise...I don't see that 800-flowers will give them that much more business to cover a loan, especially if the loose comparable amount of local 100% biz in the mean time...

Reactions: CHR
Status
Not open for further replies.