$15 table centerpiece

Anybody remember my 70 $5 tall centerpieces for a father-daughter dance? I turned that down, gave them DIY ideas for free just to get rid of it.

Budgets are budgets, I can understand that, but it's also known to be rude to catch your doctor at the grocery store and ask them to look at the bunion on your toe. I'd either do all of it, or none of it if I were you ~ you don't want your name going on a DIY project that's more about pinching pennies than doing something outstanding.

Added note ~ if she changes her mind about purchasing the vases, MAKE SURE THE LABELS ARE TAKEN OFF BY THEM, NOT YOU!

Reactions: pfmflowermarket
I called and left a voice mail on her phone yesterday stating that our suppliers are telling us that we need to have this order confirmed and booked with them no later than the end of the day this Friday. I gave her the total of what it would cost including a delivery fee and set-up fee and told her to give me a call back. We'll see if she calls today.

She called back today as it was the deadline I had given her. She moaned and groaned because I added in a delivery charge and set-up fee because from wanting to spend as little as possible to all of a sudden saying we need to purchase the vases because we are giving them away ticked me off. They HAVE the money just don't want to spend it and I was really trying to save them money where I could. We brainstormed and tried several ideas that would be simple yet elegant and would be good for her and good for us.

She today on the phone started taking more things off the order again to bring the per vase cost down because she still wasn't happy with the total. She started trying to do the math and was getting all flustered and said she would call back in 30min. Finally about 1 1/2 hrs later, she has someone else who is working on this project on her behalf call to "go over the order". I calmly explain the situation and how many times we have changed things, added things, took things out etc. I tell her that I haven't heard back from the Doctor again that she was supposed to call me about an hour ago. She apologized and said she must have gotten pulled into emergency surgery or something. As I'm hanging up the phone with the person on her behalf, the doctor calls on our other phone line. She says hi there so what did you come up with? I explained it all to her again that we WERE willing to let her use the vases and the ribbon treatment that we were going to put on them at no charge as long as we get them all back. We WERE also willing to throw in delivery and set-up too. Then she started nickel and diming everything and sourcing product elsewhere and that she had said that she wanted to pay for everything not borrow/rent that the vases were going to be given away to people who make a donation at the event. She sounded like the fact that we weren't willing to give free delivery and setup anymore was going to be a dealbreaker and then said let me call you back. I wasn't holding my breath at this point and just figured ok it's over. The other lady calls me back shortly after and says "ok sounds good. We're going for everything you have explained. Make us out a bill." I ran through everything with her again to make sure I had everything correctly and she said yep. She also stated that we should be able to get into the venue much earlier than the Doctor had told us....ahhhhh people TOO Many cooks in the kitchen!

I feel so proud of myself for standing up and not cowering. :cool: I can easily be and feel intimidated by "authority" or people who could give us a bad/poor reputation. Thanks all for your help and input! Hopefully they'll be happy and we can possibly get some customers out of it. The event was advertised in today's paper. For dinner, listen to guest speakers, and heart screenings $50 a ticket. Wonder what that $$$ is going towards.

Reactions: KABERS
A couple more thoughts/suggestions. First, you really should consider making a backdrop for when you take pictures of your own work. This can be as simple as a heavy flat bedsheet, or some nice material from the fabric shop. Seeing the clutter and work stations in the background is very distracting to a customer (as a florist, you probably don't notice it--you are too busy focusing on the flowers), but think as a consumer would. It screams "farmers market" and not "professional florist" like you want it to.

Also, i would carefully consider positioning yourself as the "cheap florist" and instead position yourself as the "best value" florist. Instead of having the cheapest prices, I would come just under your competition. For example, your dozen red roses vase is $50. Nelson's Flower Shop (appears to be your closest competition) is $63 for the comparable product. Instead of undercutting them by $13, raise your price to $59.99. Then with some longer stem roses (or more strategic cuts), better filler etc, you could easily make an arrangement that looks twice as big as your competitions AND make more profit for yourself. At that point it would be a win-win. Customers that are looking for the cheapest flowers, will still come to you--you will be cheaper--and those customer generally only need a buck or two to convince them. Customers that are looking for the nicest arrangement for the money, will come to you as well--your arrangement is larger and prettier. Suddenly you have transformed from the cheapest to the "best value".
Compare Nelson's http://www.nelsonflowershop.com/product_detail/330 to this https://www.alwaysdistinctive.com/distinctiveoccasions/product-info.php?pid5.html for a great example.

This industry is all about value to the customer--and value is more than price. Its quality, design, price and service all bundled into one package. If a competitor falls short on design, then you can leap right over them, set your price higher than them and STILL have the "best value". Compare Nelson's half dozen roses http://www.nelsonflowershop.com/product_detail/548
to Bosses half dozen roses (hope you don't mind Boss)
http://www.smithsflowers.com/product_detail/1373
The presentation easily makes it worth the extra $2.95!

That being said, I know how difficult it is to get your website to where you want it. Mine needs a total overhaul, and if all goes well, it will be happening very soon! Spend some time and look around at fellow chatters. There are alot of members on here with GREAT websites. (not WS garbage). I know I have been spending alot of time seeing what I like and don't like from other sites so that my new site will be the best it can possibly be!

Looks like you have a great start and are headed down the right road.....now its all a matter of fine tuning to get to where you want to be!

About the pricing, etc.....
I just found this on the FloristsReview Website Extra....It is exactly what we are dealing with :rolleyes: It's an article titled "Can Low Prices Hurt Your Business" Next month they are elaborating on how to raise prices...it's caught my interest!!

Reactions: retro