800F $29.99 centerpiece

Rhonda

Nov 1, 2002
Millinocket
www.millinocketflorist.com
State / Prov
Maine
If you click on the photo you are taken to a page which shows the pictured arrangement as the extra large for $49.99.

The $29.99 version has daisies, minis, a few fall leaves and solidago. You can also upgrade to the medium that has sunflowers and 3 candles.

I have been at the place in Miami where they create these masterpieces! It is amazing, row upon row of tables and workers- no english spoken there, in a very cold damp place- all of it very depressing- but it's cheap and America loves wally world cheap, @@@@ the consequences!

I have been at the place in Miami where they create these masterpieces! It is amazing, row upon row of tables and workers- no english spoken there, in a very cold damp place- all of it very depressing- but it's cheap and America loves wally world cheap, @@@@ the consequences!

Yep, been there done that. The reality is the big guys have simply pulled a "Henry Ford" and taken the flower business form one-off unique creations to an assembly line floor. Cutting the cost and passing it onto the consumer.

Like it or not the consumer has spoken on this one with their wallet.

In the big picture as consumers we are all to blame, generally all of us are always looking for a bargain. Unfortunately a retailer trying to stand their ground too often finds it a losing battle and eventually throws in the towel. As an example I can recall when Walmart advertised "Made in America" that has long gone by the wayside in favor of cheaper imports and in turn lower retail pricing.

# Extra Large arrangement measures approximately 6"H x 10"W x 18"L
# Large measures approximately 6"H x 9"W x 16.5"L
# Medium and Small arrangements do not include roses
# Dimensions do not include 12"L candles

from their descriptions. How many people will read? Extra large at 18" long doesn't seen real big to me.

Last Thanksgiving I remember seeing pretty nice centerpieces in the supermarkets for $29.99 that had 3 taper candles. I think they had mostly mums and carns. But fall colors are so beautiful, it's hard to go wrong. So that's what consumers are seeing that influences their perceived value.

Reactions: CHR
Last Thanksgiving I remember seeing pretty nice centerpieces in the supermarkets for $29.99 that had 3 taper candles. I think they had mostly mums and carns. But fall colors are so beautiful, it's hard to go wrong. So that's what consumers are seeing that influences their perceived value.
Yep, you are right! And what the customers in the supermarket don't know is that the $29.99 value they get there, isn't the same thing they might get from an o/g after all the fees and service charges are taken out! Very sad!

We offer this in our stores the week of Thanksgiving for $19.99. It's profitable and we sell ALOT of them. Cash and Carry only. We charge $24.99 if it's going on delivery.

We also sell this one for $39.99.

Several years ago, Thanksgiving was all but a dead holiday for us. Then we started offering a lot more in cash and carry bouquets and lower priced items. We have now regained a lot of sales for the week. I think it was simply that we DID NOT HAVE what the customer wanted. Now we do.

I once worked for a company that ran ads for Cash & Carry $15 centerpieces at Thanksgiving, but the designs were tiny (6"-7" in diameter), used only mixed poms and included a single pencil taper for the candle.

The idea was to upsell to $24.95 where the arr's had a few other flowers and a regular taper - and it usually worked.

Low prices brought in foot traffic and better options improved sales & profitability.

Thanks, Ted.

I recently looked at a florist's website that had some Christmas items on it. Christmas Centerpieces STARTED at $60 and Poinsettias STARTED at $60.00 (plus delivery). Unless you are located in Manhattan or downtown Chicago or some really, really high rent area, I can't see charging that sort of price for something basic. The pictures shown were a very basic holiday centerpiece and what looked like a 6" poinsettia in an inexpesive wicker basket. Now, I know everyone can charge what they want.....but what are the demographics on people out there that will pay $60 for a poinsettia you could get almost anywhere for $10? Time to open up the eyes!

We do inexpensive centerpieces for Holidays as well - all pom poms, mini carns fall leaves.. Christmas greens at Christmas.. one candle $25 They sell very well -