Abundance of Holly & Winter Greens

Is it ok to use pine, cedar, balsam, and evergreens like that in January arrangements

• Hell Yes!

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • No, this has to be used up by end of December

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Just for funeral work

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Depends on the arrangement

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got a great idea using holiday greens after Christmas that I have done for many years and it NEVER, EVER, EVER, E-V-E-R fails to be a great seller.

You take the greens, coat them liberally with fake spray can snow, white spray paint, and bits of finely shredded white styrofoam to give them an icy snowy look and then you arrange your bright, spring BULB flowers in the base of winter white.

The promise of spring emerging out of winter's grip......What could be a more emotional, take on spring than that?????? For even more effect, add in withered, brown leaves, bare branches, etc. to add even more wintery effect.

As JB says.....Opinions Vary - but if ya'll tossing your left-over greens, ya'll missing the boat.

RWK great post thank you! There is hope!

RWK,
What types of greens do you use? A mixture of winter ones? Are you talking a long oval centerpiece or a mug or ceramic container arrangement? I'm very excited to get back to the shop and try this out.

As for spring bulb flowers are we talking iris, tulip, daffodil, hyacinth?

Whatever types of evergreens....i.e. pines, hollies, firs, cedars, junipers, etc.....if you want to mix in things like seeded euc, baker fern, myrtle, etc. Go for it.

As far as type of design.......You can do it as a vase design, or centerpeice, or whatever......and spring bulb flowers such as daffodils, tulips, iris, etc. - simply because the bulb flowers typically bloom earliest.

Reactions: pfmflowermarket
well, that does sound interesting and pretty Ricky, but it also sounds too time consuming for me. And I wouldn't send out an arrangement like this unless it was specifically asked for, and the amount of money I'd have to charge for the time and materials it would take to cover 2 cases of greens to me is just not worth it. Also I need the cooler space.

But I really do think it's a clever idea!

One really good reason to use the evergreen in funeral work is that it will last out in the cold a whole lot longer than leatherleaf, jade, myrtle, etc.

It shouldn't look like you are cleaning out your cooler unless it looks old in which case, no one should be using it.

The only evergreen I have left is beautiful cedar. I would never throw it out as long as it is fresh. You just never know when you can use it in some way just like RWK suggested.

Well, I got a great idea using holiday greens after Christmas that I have done for many years and it NEVER, EVER, EVER, E-V-E-R fails to be a great seller.

You take the greens, coat them liberally with fake spray can snow, white spray paint, and bits of finely shredded white styrofoam to give them an icy snowy look and then you arrange your bright, spring BULB flowers in the base of winter white.

The promise of spring emerging out of winter's grip......What could be a more emotional, take on spring than that?????? For even more effect, add in withered, brown leaves, bare branches, etc. to add even more wintery effect.

As JB says.....Opinions Vary - but if ya'll tossing your left-over greens, ya'll missing the boat.

Yes, Quoting myself because I thought of some more information......This design is one that I also do for one of my design shows. I have a program that showcases, how to think creatively by taking standard, everyday arrangements and creating three versions - a basic design, then taking the creativity up a few notches, then creating a design taking the creativity to the max.

In this case - A mixed spring vase arrangement is the design base.

The basic arrangement - leatherleaf, statice, Baby's breath, Tulips, Carnations, Daisies, Alstroemeria. ( Carnations are a summer flower and daisies are a fall flower......nothing really springtime seasonal about them ), The intermediate design uses grouping technique and mixed greens with spring season blooming flowers,
..... and the ultimate is using the spring in winter vase.

On December 30, I attended the funeral of a cousin who had lived in the coastal, rural area of South Carolina. He was an avid hunter and fisherman. His casket piece and several other pieces were done with all sorts of mixed greens, including pine, cedar, fir, balsam, and other "Christmas" greenery. Assorted berries, cones, and a few flowers were also used. The results were stunning and very appropriate. I would even describe the arrangements as being lush with greenery.

Connie, we do this type year round up here in the woods (with lots of fishermen and hunters - even fisherwomen!) Thank goodness the trailer park where my dad lives has lots of pine and balsam trees and cedar is available year round from wholesalers. Our most popular design for sprays and casket pieces include "native evergreens"...

Reactions: Connie
I think it's ok with funeral work... mixed with a little cedar, salal, or emerald, etc. We have had about 6 family funerals since Xmas, one out of six asked for Xmas greens "if we could". Thankfully, we only have cedar now, which looks great in anything. In past years, I would have tossed the holly and used any fir or pine in funerals and everyday work... but mixed. I just think mixing it safeguards you a bit from a complaint and makes them look more "winter green" than "Xmas green".

One thing I do here... about two weeks before Xmas I take a greens inventory and tell my designers what they can use or need to use per day... (1.5 cases of holly, two bundles of douglas fir, one bundle of white pine and 1 case of Cedar). They bring out that amount each day... and try to green accordingly. I count the inventory every 3-4 days and adjust accordingly.

As for the holly... I have had outstanding variegated holly (10 lb boxes) for the last three years or so. If you haven't tried it in years, I would try it next year. It looks SOOO much better than artificial! Check it when it comes in... but get it in weekly shipments... so tat you can return it timely if you have an issue.

My question is what do I do with the pre-made centerpiece?? I have 1/3 brick and full brick, about 30 of each. The greens are too short to use in much else and they scream "XMAS CENTERPIECE"! They are a mix of noble, pine and cedar. About to toss them.

Heather Tuckey

If you do mug arrangements for birthdays, get well, etc. I would take out the small pieces and use them to help green the mugs. I would suggest to mix the greens so that it doesn't look xmasy..more winter green looking! Thanks for your reply!

I just bought and old John Henry funeral book off of Ebay and it had alot of Cedar in the arrangements one was cedar and orchids on a casket. Years ago cedar was used year around didn't have all the neat greens we have now.
I now use alot of different kinds of greens in my arrangements. But do have some cedar that I will use when I can.
Worked for a shop years ago that the gal had cedar and other greens left over and kept them outside and used them for Valentines guess what she is no longer in business wonder why LOL.

My question is what do I do with the pre-made centerpiece?? I have 1/3 brick and full brick, about 30 of each. The greens are too short to use in much else and they scream "XMAS CENTERPIECE"! They are a mix of noble, pine and cedar. About to toss them.
We re-use our pre-mades in 6"baskets, adding a little height to the base, and adding a touch of other greenery as well. Pop them out of the liner, and drop them into the new hard liner with the basket. But, ours are greened taller than the pre-made wholesale I've seen, so it may not work ..... also, use the shorty greens around hearts, crosses, in deep in sprays to cover foam - we find a use ;). But, you have to decide if your designer's time is worth the $$ to re-use, or if it's cheaper to just toss it - I'm the designer now, so it's worth my time. :)

I consider it winter seasonal foliage. We're in the north & it's very seasonal. It lasts forever.

I use all sorts of local cuts & greens in the spring/summer/ fall, I see no difference in using winter stuff also.

We can always use the holly up before Christmas in our Holly Basket Arrangement. Its just pine and cedar in the back ,holly red velvet bows and glitter balls up front,no flowers.Can't sell it over the phone ,but can't keep it in the display cooler. People just love the look of it.

If I did have holly left in January I wouldn't use it.Just too Xmasy. Cedar ,Boxwood and Juniper, Sure! Boxwood is great in cubes, vases and low basket
arrangements and Junipers blue green color is divine.

Status
Not open for further replies.