Bride wants me to preserve her bouquet?

Studio3

Oct 10, 2011
Seattle
State / Prov
Wa
I had a wedding yesterday and the bride was gushing over bouquet (always a nice ego boost). After the wedding she found me at clean up and begged me to preserve it for her. I explained that I don't do that and there are plenty of companies online she could send it to. She said she wanted ME to try my best in preservation. I explained again that while I know HOW - I've never done it before. Her mom came up and said she'd pay me whatever it would cost - just do it. The bride said she wanted me to do my best and didn't mind if it didn't work out. Maybe it was sleep deprivation, but I agreed and said I'd send an invoice.

Called her today to get some details about what she wants done - and to make sure her mom knew how much it would cost. It's a 12 inch David Austin and French garden rose bouquet with astilbe, ranunculus and stock. The clock is ticking on those roses. All of them are fully blown. She hasn't gotten back to me, neither has her mom or her bridesmaid I called. I don't want to get started without details and put them in a position to pay double what they paid for the bouquet in an impulse buy. And I want to be sure I'm actually going to be paid for the work before I start.

A few questions:

Would you touch this with a 10 foot pole?
I was going to use silica - does someone have a different method? Anyone know how garden roses hold up? Should I wire or hand tie the dried stems?
How much would you charge for this? I was thinking of COGs w/2x markup + labor. It seems like disassembling it, drying it, and putting it back together is going to be insanely expensive. Would you ask for a deposit?

I LOVE working with fresh flowers that look great, eventually wilt, and get tossed. done deal. finito. move on. NEXT! Mummification is a totally different animal.

Please help. The Austins are browning as we speak. or....er...as you read....

I've seen bouquets that are freeze-dried after the wedding. One thing about drying--air, silica, freeze--the flowers shrink. So the bouquet has a whole different look to it. Not such a good look :( If she really wants it dried, I'd start all over with fresh flowers. Once they dry, any little imperfection shows up. The colors will change, of course.

I've tried preserving with glycerine without much success, but you can purchase preserved roses and other flowers online. Pricey, but gorgeous.

You could also recreate in silk so she could have that to keep. Or my preference would be to recreate her bouquet for her every wedding anniversary. Then it shows up beautiful, fresh, and she gets to enjoy it over and over. . . Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Hi I am Barb from Everlastings Pressed Flowers Let me be blunt. It has taken me 25 years to learn the ART of pressing flowers. As far as i am concerned the freeze dried look is creepy (always has been) but is now WAY outdated, espescially the 1980s shadow boxes... I will be happy to send you my literature, you can put a card in the box of flowers on delivery morning and let THEM take care of the shipping ect (we pay for overnight) Do not get involved other than seeing our websites and recommending...It creates a lot of good will. Dont try silica, very toxic, flowers can overdry and crumble. It takes a lot of practice but its all about not letting the flowers re absorb moisture after they have dried..Thats the preservation part.. We only PRESS and then vacumn seal....I also have a 3 day class to teach florists this as it makes them a lot of extra $$$ I can come to you or you can travel here..... Easiest is to have confindence in the company you reccomend and send the flowers overnight. EASY would you like some brochures? Sorry you got stuck in the middle! Barb www.everlastingsflowers.com

Reactions: kynda
I used silica gel on a couple of roses from my Aunt's funeral for my cousins. They dried beautifully (you have to be careful about getting the beads even and not crushing the flower. The only problem was that it dried from pink to lavender.