Can Someone Reinvent the Bud Vase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon, it kept me up last nite :loopy (not too long) but how did you get that dendro on the 3rd one to poke out that way and still have it in water? I hope you don't mind me using that one for inspiration (not to copy directly) but I loved it. And I would price it at about $35 or so in my area.

Geez Shannon,

why?
My price and your price may not be the same. Price it according to your store. That would make way more sense to me.

You are bringing up the old nightmares of one of my designers that use to think since they made it everyone would know it, like they have a magical signature not seen by myself. :hammer:

Not that it isn't your right to ask.

But here is my explanation.

1) I want to know why you put so much into a 3 rose bud vase and why do you have so many?

2) If there is a market for this look. You might have something that I want to try instead of the new pave' look if there is a market.

3) Seem to be a bit one sided to be table arrangements.

4) See the value versus something larger in comparison.

Here is the basis to why also that I'm asking. I was once sitting in a floral marketing group / Think tank and I had a florist that was going on and on about a " Majestic Rose Bokay " that was a great seller for them. It was one dozen roses, Chrystal vase, bear, chocolate, candy and Mylars for $150. This was about 8 years ago. This was my second meeting and I was still a little green and 29 years old. The explanation was about 20 minutes long on how to sell, how to make, what products to buy, etc. etc. Everyone was writing and asking questions blah blah blah. Well I had a product similar but never marketed it because all that stuff is such a PAIN IN THE AZZ that I really didn't want to fool with it. Would rather just sell Two dozen for the same price and have on one package.
So after this guy is glowing, feeling so proud, i raise my hand and ask, " How many of these do you make up before hand depending on how many you sold the last year? " He said he makes up 3. THREE?!? What the F*%K !!! I then followed up with " Well then how many do you sell? He said he sold 5 last year.
You could of heard a pin drop. Then sighs and paper being torn up and thrown away.

My point is, just like the poster before about the chocolate candy bowls with roses, selling a several doesn't float my boat. Make something that doesn't take a dent out of roses sales but adds 5% to your sales, and is EASY to make at Valentine's blows up my skirt. Doing something that is an effort, might have problems later, or doesn't hold up is a total waste of time.

I'm guessing my first question of " can you price these " was a little vague.

Thanks in advance. If you would like I can price them for you, but I really would like the price points and how you sold them. It is like another poster Wild chi town said, " Out of the box " , however I want to see if it will fill my cash box not just my portfolio box. Have to many pictures of those.

Reactions: 2 people
well, my dear, I hope you have a restful sleep knowing that it is a Hawaiian dendro.

Hawaiian are much more ply-able than Thai dendros. the stem was all the way to the bottom.

well, my dear, I hope you have a restful sleep knowing that it is a Hawaiian dendro.

Hawaiian are much more ply-able than Thai dendros. the stem was all the way to the bottom.

Of course the stem was touching the bottom. Shannon would do no less.

I just learned how to bend a lot of different stems from Phil's
class....like an aggie or lily, just rub it back and forth along your thigh...warms it up to make it bend a bit. Worked great!

I figured Ms. Shannon had solid mechanics, I just had to know her secret. :)
Good tip on making flowers pliable; I only ever used it on callas.

You are bringing up the old nightmares of one of my designers that use to think since they made it everyone would know it, like they have a magical signature not seen by myself.
I don't understand, what this means...

Not that it isn't your right to ask.

But here is my explanation.

1) I want to know why you put so much into a 3 rose bud vase and why do you have so many?
What do I put so much what? And why do I have so many of what? Please explain

2) If there is a market for this look. You might have something that I want to try instead of the new pave' look if there is a market.
Then try it why can't you do both?

3) Seem to be a bit one sided to be table arrangements.
So What? Why does it matter? Do you do a 1 or 2 or 3 rose budvase all around?? If you do PLEASE take a picture and post that!

4) See the value versus something larger in comparison. Some people will like it and prefer it, some wont.

Here is the basis to why also that I'm asking. I was once sitting in a floral marketing group / Think tank and I had a florist that was going on and on about a " Majestic Rose Bokay " that was a great seller for them. It was one dozen roses, Chrystal vase, bear, chocolate, candy and Mylars for $150. This was about 8 years ago. This was my second meeting and I was still a little green and 29 years old. The explanation was about 20 minutes long on how to sell, how to make, what products to buy, etc. etc. Everyone was writing and asking questions blah blah blah. Well I had a product similar but never marketed it because all that stuff is such a PAIN IN THE AZZ that I really didn't want to fool with it. Would rather just sell Two dozen for the same price and have on one package.
So after this guy is glowing, feeling so proud, i raise my hand and ask, " How many of these do you make up before hand depending on how many you sold the last year? " He said he makes up 3. THREE?!? What the F*%K !!! I then followed up with " Well then how many do you sell? He said he sold 5 last year.
You could of heard a pin drop. Then sighs and paper being torn up and thrown away.

My point is, just like the poster before about the chocolate candy bowls with roses, selling a several doesn't float my boat. Make something that doesn't take a dent out of roses sales but adds 5% to your sales, and is EASY to make at Valentine's blows up my skirt. Doing something that is an effort, might have problems later, or doesn't hold up is a total waste of time.
What the heck does this have to do with re inventing the budvase????

I'm guessing my first question of " can you price these " was a little vague.

Thanks in advance. If you would like I can price them for you, but I really would like the price points and how you sold them. It is like another poster Wild chi town said, " Out of the box " , however I want to see if it will fill my cash box not just my portfolio box. Have to many pictures of those.
Like I said price them for YOUR store if you like.

Lets see your pictures then!! Since you have so many of them you should be able to post a few wonderful budvases you've done...

Look, the purpose of this thread was to come up with a different way to design bud vases. So that's what I did. What a drag that you took all the fun out of it. Honestly, our average arrangement is about $75.00. What sells here may not work for you and your store. The majority of our clients want something a bit more upscale. And a few that still dig the traditional.
Either way, we can rock it. Look at my album pics, look at my gallery pics. All of those were for orders or events, not just for funzies. That's the type of stuff they buy here.

This one is a great concept!

Different and unique! This is what we try to implement.

We do Bud Vases, based on what one does not want to spend on the $ for our regular designs, but this puts a new spin on that lower price design.

Great look and feel.

New Sales tool!

Great look...refreshing!

++++++to you!

Awesome! Thanks!

whowa!

so I made a couple more

thought these came out pretty good. They were for orders today.
So I thought I'd share since MOST of you liked the last ones.....
Tell me what you think.

I posted 2 pics of the red peony vase cause it looked so pretty from the top, And I did find a decent pic of the pin cushion bud vase.

Attachments

• sunflower bud vases 2.jpg
    sunflower bud vases 2.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 60
  • red peony bud vase 3.jpg
    red peony bud vase 3.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 56
  • red peony bud vase 1.jpg
    red peony bud vase 1.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 37
  • pin cushion budvase.jpg
    pin cushion budvase.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 3 people
Lets see your pictures then!! Since you have so many of them you should be able to post a few wonderful budvases you've done...

Look, the purpose of this thread was to come up with a different way to design bud vases. So that's what I did. What a drag that you took all the fun out of it. Honestly, our average arrangement is about $75.00. What sells here may not work for you and your store. The majority of our clients want something a bit more upscale. And a few that still dig the traditional.
Either way, we can rock it. Look at my album pics, look at my gallery pics. All of those were for orders or events, not just for funzies. That's the type of stuff they buy here.

Shannon - since you know I enjoy giving you crap - I'm gonna state, or restate what I said in another thread.

Give me a name, a romanticized adjective laden description and at least a rough selling price.

If you can't don't won't - my guess is it's the designer side of the brain saying "I haven't a clue".

Which makes it basically useless to we "other side of the brain" types that are necessary to sell the stuff you designer types create.

And Hero always makes it more fun around here, not less. :bouncy:

He simply attempted to make the exercise practical, what a drag.

Rock on :icon15

Reactions: 1 person
Shannon - since you know I enjoy giving you crap - I'm gonna state, or restate what I said in another thread.

Give me a name, a romanticized adjective laden description and at least a rough selling price.

If you can't don't won't - my guess is it's the designer side of the brain saying "I haven't a clue".

Which makes it basically useless to we "other side of the brain" types that are necessary to sell the stuff you designer types create.

And Hero always makes it more fun around here, not less. :bouncy:

He simply attempted to make the exercise practical, what a drag.

Rock on :icon15
But BLOOMZ

It doesn't matter what I sell it for in my store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT MATTERS WHAT YOU WOULD SELL IT FOR IN YOURS!!!!

A better question would be, "what is the stem count? What's in the bud vase? how long did it take to make? what are the materials" Then YOU should be able to figure out for yourself what YOU would need to charge for your store.

I've worked for store where we were selling a dozen rose for $35. 2 years ago I was working for a store where we sold a dozen roses for $50. Now, where I am now, We sell a dozen roses for $85.

PAY ATTENTION: CAUSE HERE'S THE KICKER!!!!!!!!!!------------>>>>
WE ARE PAYING THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THE ROSES AT BOTH STORES.

So you may say WTF. WELL, we have a much much MUCH bigger overhead where I am now.

So to tell you how much something is in my store is pretty much bogus. It doesn't matter.

BUT SINCE YOU CARE so much and I kind of get the feeling you think I don't know how to price things, The red peony vase went out for a $35 order.
and this is how it breaks down:
$10 for the peony
$5 for the lily BLOOM
$4 for the stock
$5 for the vase
$11 for the greens, grasses, calcynia & amaranths
$35.00

Trust me Bloomz, I really do know what I'm doing. Not sure why I need to Prove myself to you over and over again.
I think that it may just be a little hard for you and some of the other guys to accept that a girl that can make pretty floral arrangements, just might be a little bit smart too.

Imagine that: BRAINS, BEAUTY AND CREATIVE TALENT!! I know that there are a whole LOT of us in here with all three traits!!

But BLOOMZ

It doesn't matter what I sell it for in my store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT MATTERS WHAT YOU WOULD SELL IT FOR IN YOURS!!!!

A better question would be, "what is the stem count? What's in the bud vase? how long did it take to make? what are the materials" Then YOU should be able to figure out for yourself what YOU would need to charge for your store.

I've worked for store where we were selling a dozen rose for $35. 2 years ago I was working for a store where we sold a dozen roses for $50. Now, where I am now, We sell a dozen roses for $85.

PAY ATTENTION: CAUSE HERE'S THE KICKER!!!!!!!!!!------------>>>>
WE ARE PAYING THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THE ROSES AT BOTH STORES.

So you may say WTF. WELL, we have a much much MUCH bigger overhead where I am now.

So to tell you how much something is in my store is pretty much bogus. It doesn't matter.

BUT SINCE YOU CARE so much and I kind of get the feeling you think I don't know how to price things, The red peony vase went out for a $35 order.
and this is how it breaks down:
$10 for the peony
$5 for the lily BLOOM
$4 for the stock
$5 for the vase
$11 for the greens, grasses, calcynia & amaranths
$35.00

Trust me Bloomz, I really do know what I'm doing. Not sure why I need to Prove myself to you over and over again.
I think that it may just be a little hard for you and some of the other guys to accept that a girl that can make pretty floral arrangements, just might be a little bit smart too.

Imagine that: BRAINS, BEAUTY AND CREATIVE TALENT!! I know that there are a whole LOT of us in here with all three traits!!
Don't forget labor....

Don't forget labor....
the labor costs are figured into our flowers/and hardgoods. I've always done it that way. It is what works best for me.

I have done tests with employess before to see how they price things.
I did it 2 ways , with pricing just the flowers and hardgoods and then adding the larbor costs.
Then I did it my way....

When we did the pricing with the labor added at the end (or the top) which ever way you want to look at it, everyones prices were off, a lot off.

When they do it my way, it's priced right everytime!

Last year when Me and 2 other designers went to OKC to take a class at TF headquarters we were not allowed to sit next to each other, they mixed the seating of the whole class every day. Anyway, we had to price out the arrangements we made. All 3 of us came up with the exact same price EVERYTIME. So I concluded then and there, my pricing formula works. I asked Marie Ackerman and Susan Ayala what is the proper way to price out arrangements. They both said it doesn't matter. Different shops use different formulas. All that matters is that you come up with the price that will make money and that it's consistant.

I love this thread. Even though it's not all that much fun making bud vases, we have a lot of customers that want them. So, getting news spins on what to do with them is a great idea.

For our younger customers they like a bud vase we do with a big gerber daisy with a diamond pick picked into the center of it. They like the bling. Then we put funky wire around it. Or sometimes we wrap a neon colored teddy bear around the base and take all colors of curling ribbon and make a frothy bow. Our customers in their teens/twenties are probably the biggest buyers of this particular bud vase.

For others putting a diamond pick in the middle of a single rose in a vase turns them on. Then we take colored wire, wrap it around the vase and up the stem of the rose and make it into a heart shape. Trying to sell some romance on that one.

Thanks for all the great conversation!
Take care,
Linda The Flowercat

Inferno thanks for starting this thread. I love to chat about design ideas. It always gets the creativity going!

Shannon your arrangements are just wonderful! I love that you use a black background, it makes your flowers stand out that much more. I went to a show with Susan Ayala as the speaker. She told me that they use a grey background so I have been using that but I really love the black.

As for the comment about my previous posting about Val Day, this was an example of what can be done with a bud vase as the originator of the post, Inferno, was asking. For that matter, the same design concept can be used for Birthdays, T.O.Y., Get Well, etc just by changing the hardgoods.

I have been designing bud vases all day thanks to the inspiration of this thread. I have a new attitude towards the bud vase now. Can anyone else post pics? I will post some here tomorrow of some of mine.

I have to apologize for starting what I started with Shannon. I didn't read or respect the forum for design. I posted the wrong question in the wrong place. My question would be more suitable for Business or Profitable Floral ... Don't know if Ryan has these forums, I'll have to check.
Please go on with the picture swap, they are all very pretty. I cannot design that well, I have pictures that I do own, however they are not my designs and honestly don't have time to post. Once I get over my insecurity of changing my website from FTD's to my own, I'll have pictures there and more apt or easier to share. My designers LOVE taking pictures, have tons, however are NOT allowed to post them here during work hours because the need to be making them not posting them. I know, I'm a dick, but they do like their paycheck with the dick's signature. I tell them they can post on their own time, but that isn't as fun as I'm sure we all know.
Again, my apologies. If you would like, someone can start a " Price Shannon's bud vase" thread there with her pics, or we might need you to Shannon and restart the dialog with a business acumen to it.

Sorry to bother boys and girls.

P.s. I would love to know what Studioflora didn't want to get into.

""My designers LOVE taking pictures, have tons, however are NOT allowed to post them here during work hours because the need to be making them not posting them. I know, I'm a dick, but they do like their paycheck with the dick's signature. I tell them they can post on their own time, but that isn't as fun as I'm sure we all know." Hero

Hero, maybe you could offer a special perk to your hardworking employees of a
special time to post their pics for your site....a certain time of the day, say, if they
got all their chores done.....all work and no play, not good for any one. They might
like more than the name on the paycheck. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.