Canadian Exchange Rates....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only good aspect of the HST is that we get the provincial taxes on purchases back too. Before it was a %&*# nightmare separating the provincial and federal taxes.

flowerknife+us said:
I understand that some large potted plant growers are is some serious financial straight jackets. Due in large part because of the effects of the change in exchange rates. Many seem to be involved in supplying the big box outlets.

Also, a large cut flower grower is curtailing production for the same reason.

Fact, rumor, BS.????

I was told today, by a grower/greenhouse in this area that 15 greenhouse growers in the Niagara region have declared bankruptcy due to high cost of heating, among many other things.

I also know a large cut flower grower in our area has turned one or more of their houses into cucumbers... they apparently lost a contract with a large grocery chain...

V

V,
Speaking of cukes, did you hear about the Sprung Greenhouse that was built in Mount Pearl (next to St John's) in the 80's? Then PC Premier Brian Peckford (I think all the Brian's in politics in those days were a problem) gave a Mr Sprung millions to help start up a massive growing operation there to grow English cukes but surprise, surprise it bombed! I hope that those in Ontario have better luck, Jane just paid 2.99 for one of these little suckers yesterday at Dominion (Loblaw's)!!!

Now forget the cukes, on to a real problem

Wire orders from the US (at least FTD since I'm not TF so I don't know their prices) are paid to us at an exchange of 120% of the US$; after we take out the HST as required we end up with LESS than the amount sent!
Example - FTD C1 at US $ SRP 44.99 x exch 120% = 53.99 - HST of 18% as required by revenue Canada (see FTD directory)(don't ask how they got 18%) = Cdn$ 44.27!!!
If you're in the GST provinces the 53.99 - GST (again 9% adjustment) = 49.13 Can$!!!
FTD Cdn SRP is 56.99, not 44.27 or 49.13!!!
Now the real kicker is of course it is under priced anyway! Most sites in Canada are listing C1 for 65.00 to 70.00 !!!
Are you going to fill these orders for ANYONE, let alone the OG's?
Other than asking for the required amount what can we do?
I think FTD & TF had no choice but adjust the rate since without doing it there would be no orders going to US members from Canadian members anyway BUT the old problem (of the taxes not being taken into account) is now very magnified. BOTH FTD & TF have GOT to address the fact that Canadian taxes (HST & GST) are destination taxes and they come out of the price of the flowers sent IF, and that's a big IF, Canadian florists are even deducting it.
Both WS have, I believe, stated to members that the taxes should be taken into account but not all members use the PAPER directories!!!

Avon Valley in Nova Scotia (wholesaler to some on the board) also comes into Maine and they sell to the Hannaford Chain of grocery stores. I refuse to purchase their holiday plants for this reason. I believe they also are now doing "designed arrangements" for those same stores (one of which is in my town and their appearance of their designed work certainly has changed although quality of care hasn't).
I can't justify selling plants for almost 3 times what the grocery store is selling them at when we have the same supplier (and pretty much the same quality *there goes grocery store quality story* )

Rhonda,
I guess it isn't far from Maine to Newfoundland after all! Avon Valley sells those stupid little 16.99 basket arrangements to the local supermarket across the road from us. We gave up buying Points from them in the 80's - takes 3 days for them to get them to us and because of that there were always quality problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.