Design a Mitzvah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGDragonfly

Jan 9, 2009
Granby/Washington DC
State / Prov
CT/DC
I am working on designing a Bar Mitzvah. The client wants a "Night at the Improv" but in an old hollywood style. Sounds odd, but they will spend about $30,000 which gives me about $9000 to spend. This is a definite go as we have worked with this family before. What I am in charge of is the design of the event, room transformation, including the floral decor. Lighting and draping will be extra.

I wanted to include your ideas in the design of the event, in exchange I will post my final proposal so that you can see what it looks like, and how I produce this type of social event. I hope to share with you how I create a visual event in proposal form. Along the way, I will give you my thought on why I am proposing elements, and how I intend to create them with in my budget. Hopefully this will open up a new area of floristry that you can include in your operations.

When I begin designing an event like this I start thinking about it. Certain images start coming to me but I am considering the entire package at the same time. What it will take to make it, considering transport, installation, turnover, and teardown (strike). I often refer to a search on google images. I will start off typing in something like "Night at the Improv" or comedy club and "old hollywood party'. But i am already picturing a elevated stage with a faux brick wall and a antique microphone and stage. White ostrich feathers, beaded table lamps, small tables instead of large. Waiters wearing period outfits, cigarette girls with trays of ?. See? I,m just throwing images around. I start to grab elements and piecing bits together. The event will take place at a old restored society playground outside of DC built at the turn of the century. Look around: http://www.glenechopark.org/rentals.htm
Marcy met with the client yesterday and will be home this weekend with more details. I will need to complete this by the end of next week.

We also have another one to propose. This one is a "Tribute to old Yankee Stadium" theme. On my website under Mitzvahs you will see some photos of a previous baseball Mitzvah we did, so I have buckets of baseballs and bats, and gloves, and stuff. But I think this time I actually want to create an actual baseball field indoors. Lighting to be actual bar spots, dug outs, concession booth, lighted scoreboard, chain link backstop, and set it up so that the kids can actually play a baseball game, with 2 teams, jerseys and all. Never been to the old Yankee stadium, I'm not sure it's been torn down yet, but it is important to the father that it be remembered. This is the type of client that will pay for something he wants. I think instead of a typical kids sit here, adults sit there, wouldn't it be fun to actually get everyone involved in a game? Just like the the old days? Ladies on bleachers, peanut vendors, dads referees coaches, umps, announcers. Split the kids up in 2 teams. Sound like fun?!

Thanks guys,
Thom

Reactions: 1 person
This is exciting!! I'm picturing for the linens on the tables a rouching effect. Lots of crystal accents and mirrors. I'm also seeing lots of red/burgundy velvet drapings....I'm also seeing martini glasses. The cigarette girls could pass out candy, gum or little prank toys.

Reactions: 1 person
hi thom,

i like your ideas. the images that came to my mind was more old hollywood glamour style, like transforming it into a theatre using masks as a theme. certainly, white feathers, crystals, hanging masks with flower arrangments on them; red curtains, and red lighting....

i'm not sure if i'm going overboard here....

just my thoughts,

rachel

Reactions: TGDragonfly
Thom,

I love this whole idea/process!!! Thanks for letting us be a fly on the wall!!!

The cigarette girl should have candy bars in her cigarette case...either regular commercially sold ones, or custom labeled.

What about red velvet draping with the gold fringe like they have in all the old movie theaters.

As for the flowers, I like the idea of playing up the humor aspect. If you do the tall vase table lamps like you showed us before, with groupings of antherium cubes at the base... maybe a little vase of craspedia (like a grid)...flame/feather celosia. Flowers that make you smile!?!?

These are just random ideas, hopefully you will get better responses!

Thom,

On the stage I am seeing an easel, with boards revealing each"ACT", more vaudvillian I think, but could be fun

jan

Thea, brought this to mind....silent b/w movies playing on the walls as part of the decor....

Thom,

I love this whole idea/process!!! Thanks for letting us be a fly on the wall!!!

The cigarette girl should have candy bars in her cigarette case...either regular commercially sold ones, or custom labeled.

What about red velvet draping with the gold fringe like they have in all the old movie theaters.

As for the flowers, I like the idea of playing up the humor aspect. If you do the tall vase table lamps like you showed us before, with groupings of antherium cubes at the base... maybe a little vase of craspedia (like a grid)...flame/feather celosia. Flowers that make you smile!?!?

These are just random ideas, hopefully you will get better responses!

Love that idea about the cigarette cases, but what about handing out boxes of those old candy spearmint candy cigarettes, remember those?

That's a good idea about the candy cigarettes. Or chocolate cigars?

Love that idea about the cigarette cases, but what about handing out boxes of those old candy spearmint candy cigarettes, remember those?

No, Thom, I am happily too young to remember those! :tongue Would you run into any resistance from parents for the candy cigarettes?!?! I don't know how uptight of a group you are working with.

When is this Bar Mitzvah?

Thom,

On the stage I am seeing an easel, with boards revealing each"ACT", more vaudvillian I think, but could be fun

jan

Your right Jan, great idea, the centerpiece of the entire event has to be the stage. So I need to spend about a third of my budget on the stage. I think hiring a entertainment management company and arranging a few comedians, and would it not be fun to bring in a famous host impersonator? I wonder who was famous then?

that would be sooo fun!! Bubbles everywhere!

I love the staging aspect, where the EM announces the guest of honor, and guides the evening like a vaudville act...this Doc guy can be a entertainer in between the activities, there could be dance contest, movie stars walking around, giving that touch of Holllywood glamour, camera guys flashing when the guest arrive, the whole over the top...Good Luck.
Great idea to share something so involved for yourself, and sharing budgets and COGS ideas! Thanks.

Reactions: TGDragonfly
No, Thom, I am happily too young to remember those! :tongue Would you run into any resistance from parents for the candy cigarettes?!?! I don't know how uptight of a group you are working with.

When is this Bar Mitzvah?

Are you kidding? These boys and girls are crazy(hopped up on sugar and full of an enormous adrenaline) and own their parents, in fact the parents are crazy (letting loose and having a ball) at these things. Trust me they have seen it all. I do my best to give them that wow factor.
Usually if anything is offensive, the parents will wed it out of the proposal.

I love the staging aspect, where the EM announces the guest of honor, and guides the evening like a vaudville act...this Doc guy can be a entertainer in between the activities, there could be dance contest, movie stars walking around, giving that touch of Holllywood glamour, camera guys flashing when the guest arrive, the whole over the top...Good Luck.
Great idea to share something so involved for yourself, and sharing budgets and COGS ideas! Thanks.

Sometimes when I have to hire entertainment, I have to propose a seperate bill, and in this case if I do this I will need to factor in costs of trays, signs etc. I itemize these in the floral proposal.

The last event I did with Doc I provided a white carnation bout for every plate. Everyone including Doc wore the white bout. I charged $1.50 a bout for 350 people. Ever try to make 350 bouts? Oie

We do the same thing, seperate bill on everything, so the decor is carefully planned, the extras kill you! So they must realize how much each thing cost.
The bout idea is a nice touch...

Status
Not open for further replies.