Designer Productivity Question

swyeth

Oct 2, 2011
Anchorage
State / Prov
AK
Hi there!
First time posting here, but I'd really like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to increase one of my designers productivity.
I am just having the hardest time trying to keep her on task. Does anyone use a Designer Productivity Sheet, or anything like that?
I use logs for my drivers, so I was thinking maybe I should start using a log for my designers.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Also, what do you expect out of your designers, i.e. bouquets per hour, dollar value per hour, etc. and how do you convey that to them, when they're falling short, or reward them when they're over achieving?

Let me know.
Thanks,
Sharolyn
Muffy's Flowers
Anchorage, AK.

Hi Sharolyn, and welcome btw!

Designer productivity has been discussed many, many times here. You are going to get a variety of responses. I run my shop by myself and do all of the designing myself so my numbers would be way off, but IIRC, the last big thread about this with real results was that each full-time designer should be producing roughly $100,000.00 per year in retail.

hth

If you ask me- IF you have a store front for every employee you have you need to be producing $100K in sales. Actually I think it's for every FIRST employee they need to produce $100K, then the next is about $90K for each afterward... I calculated it all up before I decided which way to go.

That's why me and hubby will do it all ourselves. All I need to produce in sales right now to keep my business running and pay my taxes and be able to pay my own bills and living expenses is $60K. If I just have a small studio I need to add on about $20K.
I'll get there.
Sorry- just thinking out loud.

Reactions: swyeth
What other tasks are you asking the designer to do besides design? Does she have other duties? If not, I would expect at least 5-6 finished designs per hour at least. Maybe she needs a little more direction, some education, about how to design, not putting your knife down etc....bringing all components to your table at one time, not walking back and forth for product etc. If she feels you are watching her time and putting an emphasis on labor charges in her design work, she may get the hint. If not state your expectations, and then if things do not improve, begin the process of documenting your dissatisfaction with her work performance and look to replace her. Waste in labor is just way too expensive to absorb!