Don't blame Wire Services.

TGDragonfly

Jan 9, 2009
Granby/Washington DC
State / Prov
CT/DC
There are way to many opinions and attitudes when it comes to Wire Services. It' amazing how you can word and reword and fashion post after post after post after thread after thread after thread your opinion. Truth is Wire Service are a business with expenses to be made and shareholder's pockets to answer to. Truth is that the presence of Wire Services dictate how consumers send flowers as gifts from region to region. Truth is that the products Wire Service offer are basically digital images anymore and vast resources have to be spent to keep those images available to the consumer and they all vide to be the first image available to win the transaction when that consumer thinks to send flowers. Truth is that for most floral shops are at the end of this product's line in the chain before it reaches the recipient.

What I believe is not true is that floral shops need to be apart of that chain. Unless Wire Services restructure the product and service costs while still maintaining viable profits for themselves, unless they can make sure that the filling florist can make a profit on each transaction because the digital image sold is well thought out and takes into account seasonal consistency and market demands. What is true is that what you see on Wire Service, OG web sites is what most consumers see and choose from. You're not going to get a little old lady from Tallahassee to look for a local shop near her little old lady sister in Pasadena without FTD unless there were a consistent web site that was run by independent florists for independent florists. But then you would have product development costs, web maintenance costs, operational costs, shareholder costs, advertisement costs, and you can't do all that for free. So would you not become well another Wire Service?

I think my conclusion comes from one year after thinking about all the posts on this subject. I'm not sure of the single most well thought out post but it stated the typical florist have evolved into nothing but filling orders for Wire Services. Those that this is true for and might have nothing to do if there were no incoming are in my opinion not going to make it through this recession. It's a catch 22, flower shops and wire services have broken the chain of mutual communication. Flower shops have quit the Wire Services and have forced are forcing them to look for direct filling centers that has consequently given rise to the ProFlower type businesses. This business has evolved into something unknown to me, makes me rethink how I want to approach going retail.