Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Farm To Fork? How About Field To Vase

by Kasey Cronquist, America's Flowers.org / Field Position
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 3:20PM EDT

Having recently moved to Sacramento, I have found myself smack dab in the middle of the “Farm to Fork” Capital of America. And recently I read that Whole Foods is planning on growing a rooftop crop above one of their new stores near Boston. Yes, the produce is expected to be grown on their roof and sold in their store…

It seems that the fervor for all things local and the support for family farmers is at an all time high.

So what about flowers?

Representing the flower farmers of California, the conversation seems all around us, but not necessarily including us. In the race towards all things locally grown, it seems that the flowers people place on their dinner table are not considered to meet the same locally grown expectation. You’ll note that I used the word, “considered.” The point being that people just simply have not considered where their flowers come from, like they do their food. Therefore, the decision a consumer made wasn’t a decision at all. They simply purchased what was presented or offered to them. In today’s flower market, the decision on where a flower comes from was made by someone else long before a person makes their purchase in a store.

To read the rest of the story, please go to: America's Flowers.org / Field Position (http://americasflowers.org/farm-to-fork-how-about-field-to-vase/)