fern curls

Kristine

Nov 26, 2002
Middleville
State / Prov
michigan
looking for a tip. we are using fern curls in our bouts this weekend. first two bouts done and what?? where are my fern curls. they broke off!

any tips to keep this from happening? Now I'm concerned about using them, are they going to break off every time a GM goofs around once they are pinned?

tIA

Kristine, I have never worked with fern curls in my life. However, I would treat them the same way I do alstroemeria which is tape, then wire, and then tape again. Is there anything behind them? Would you be able to get away with putting a salal leaf behind them to add security?

Sorry you're having this trouble, hope somebody with experience pipes up!

Would it be really rude of me to ask how much you paid for them? My wholesaler gave a big song and dance when I tried to get them. Can you shove a wire up them?

I wrapped a lite wire around the stem (as far up, yet to remained hidden) then brown tape. I'll add a layer of tape.
No leaves in the bout at all, they are berries, feathers, broom grass and fern curl.

I've never stressed over a wedding like this one. It's not uncharted territory (except the fern curls) just lots of tiny details which makes me paranoid that I'll miss something.

I've worked with them ALOT.

Sounds like you're using the brown/black/purple uluhe fern curls, not the green ones. The uluhe does tend to break off. You just gotta be very careful. Also DO NOT insert your cross wires realy close together. That "decapitates" 'em.

Just remember in the future- the green ones don't snap off like the uluhe does. Or at least that has been my experience. But even so- I use the uluhe anyway. I'm just careful and I tell my bride to be careful as well.

thanks Shannon,

they are the brown ones. I am just wrapping the wire around the stem - like caging, not inserting with a crisscross wire thru them. I was surprised they are not a woody type stem but really "green" like asparagus.

Jennifer; I paid $1/ea for them. I did order them about 4 weeks ago - plenty of time for them to order

Reactions: KABERS
I have run a wire up them and cross wired.. they are a pain and do break. Wish there was some hope.. May be a twig behind them to help.

I pay $1.10 each when I buy them.

Would it be really rude of me to ask how much you paid for them? My wholesaler gave a big song and dance when I tried to get them. Can you shove a wire up them?

no- I would say no you can not shove a wire up in 'em...Well I guess you could- you could shove a wire up anything really....But es no bueno!

Reactions: LOTAKIDS and KABERS
I also use a lot of fern curls, the brown ones. For bouts, I have started threading wire up through the middle of the stem, then tape the stem to another thicker gauge wire. When they break, it's almost always above your wire and tape point... hence why I've started threading wire through the stem. This seems to do the trick for me.

I also (gasp) glue them in sometimes...

Reactions: KABERS
I have run a wire up them and cross wired.. they are a pain and do break. Wish there was some hope.. May be a twig behind them to help.

I pay $1.10 each when I buy them.

I needed some for a wedding a couple of weeks ago. One of the local Wholesles told me they would be $4.00 a stem!!!!! Crazy right? Just to cover my....I had told this bride I may have to substitute brown aluminum wire curls. which I did. She was delighted with the finished product. BYW... they were an accent to cream roses and not the focal flower.

I needed some for a wedding a couple of weeks ago. One of the local Wholesles told me they would be $4.00 a stem!!!!! Crazy right? Just to cover my....I had told this bride I may have to substitute brown aluminum wire curls. which I did. She was delighted with the finished product. BYW... they were an accent to cream roses and not the focal flower.

Yup- I've had to do that too.

FYI- Greenpoint nurseries in Hilo HI has 'em usually less than a buck- but then there is shipping....

I know our local Wholeslaes buy from Greenpoint, and I know shippng is high, but that was just way too much.

Mary- YOU can buy straight from Greenpoint- cut out the wholesale hose since they want to charge you $4/stem. Even if you buy 3 bunches at $1/stem and pay $30 for shipping/handeling- that's still only $2/stem!

Reactions: christi_dellarobbia
thanks for all the help.

Wedding was yesterday and we were at the day long event, Not one fern curl broke they all still look fabulous at the end of the event last night.

I almost think if price is an issue in your area, a fake fern curl wouldn't look any different that real, because a couple people commented about them and thought they were sticks....

Reactions: LOTAKIDS