Flower Shop "showroom Pizzaz"

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
It’s so exciting to me to see a beautiful showroom that displays the store’s wares in a way that gets my creative juices back in gear. Have you ever been into a Restoration Hardware retail space? It is the most soothingly beautiful experience you can have: subtle taupe walls that embrace your being and calm your soul. Chairs that invite you to sit and exchange quiet conversation. A totally serene atmosphere that allows you to absorb the textures and really get a feel for their quality offerings, which makes you love their fabulous product even more. Anthropologie stores do the same thing, but in a different way: their use of organic and recycled materials as décor is so unique, I can’t wait to see what they've done new to surprise me with corrugated metal, aged wood, ceramics with a twist. And while I’m gazing at all the cool creations, my wife buys a trinket or two. How’s that for visual marketing!?
BPqR25yFf6EOrUSDWfzUUj8v_7KJVAJRwZ7I6uX9qk7Lw-7cz9nq13UIZvsKuNemG0miBLU0VSdjjBGqHT8u35swzZt9CrZ25GoSS2hHVfFuvur9A-xRaT5n

Anthropologie Showroom

Destination shopping is definitely not a thing of the past. Yes, there’s a ton of internet buying, has been and always will be. But we humans love to see beauty and unique styling in our surroundings. We’re drawn to the cool restaurant, the boutique with the vintage display furniture, that outdoor garden nursery with irresistible foliage creations. It’s just our nature to absorb and respond to all this beauty.
gWc_iJacmJY9jbC9D_ixsHlpBdIruKkFyJlfV8IZVldegNrj6I7c21fgx_oR3RnsZ-TLjExjwslTPc-oQoMBwkJw4frQz7NyahqQ2VYB9JF4XWyRl02Hsumv

Restoration Hardware

Now take a little look see around your flower shop showroom. Missing a little “pizzaz”? I know, you’re wayyyyy too busy to worry about that. Gotta take care of those internet orders coming over the printer. Why take the time to organize when most orders are coming from the net? Because every person walking into your flower shop is a 100% sale, that’s why! Virtually 99% of walk ins are there to purchase and give you cold, hard cash (or a little plastic). A good reason to go the extra mile to create a beautiful floral showroom that will get them all chattering about your shop.
1an-l3GnaDfRoCD2j09jR1DIaJmsvrxokpvyWF3891LozvMqTjkTJqqCU8O5uvxcefilOXsBRSCf4ey64T8DjCXO-sTK4nF-jpXG5zB616Lo73R1wiLYWzxa

The more personal interaction with clients, the broader your client base gets. Let them see things they never dreamed you could create. Can’t sell a $300 permanent design? Well just design an out-of-this-world one so they know what you’re capable of. Why just have those silk stems just sitting in a vase? Put them together….you can always take it apart and use the product for smaller floral designs. This is a chance to show them what you’re made of. Try covering a display table with moss, using a bit of twisted fabric (curtains are cheap and work well for display) mixed through the gift products. Hang some opened umbrellas (no bad luck here) from the ceiling with inexpensive plastic crystals dangling from them. Great visual, let me tell you. Now use different boxes and vases you’ve got hanging around as risers to give your merchandise visual depth and interest. Put those bunches of curly willow in some vases and use them as display pieces. You’d be amazed at how much product you have in the back room that can make your flower shop showroom sizzle with interest.
h0LHihOUijD1h5AFz8cOTWKbziTfuZedPRXswC-56Rzr7Ljr_xf_W8U55fouhcM3ZIKqGH7uFxgi5JeFfW0Sh5wflM2GHaAJCSZbmiSyC0ELYBZdWGL2NBZz

If you’re lacking in display ideas, don’t stress out: look through décor magazines and you’ll get a whole lot of inspiration, and there are tons (as I’ve written about in previous FlowerChat articles). Reference your style and take the smallest of ideas and turn it into a profitable display that will not only excite your customers, but give you and your staff the “Showroom Pizzaz” your psyche has needed for a long time.

About the author
In a floral world that can sometimes be scary and tiresome, Joe Guggia, AIFD, works to reinvent himself and keep his floral passion alive. With beginnings as a delivery boy at Sandyland Nursery (Carpinteria, Calif.), he progressed to assistant grower and helped launch the first nursery contract with a supermarket chain. Later, Joe moved on to take ownership of Camfeldt’s Flowers and Gifts (Santa Maria, Calif.).

Today, Joe continues to gather knowledge in all phases of the floral industry. He admits that putting himself “out there” to keep the dollars flowing has been a challenge and isn’t always easy. But sticking to it and realizing that “We’re only as good as our last design” has brought him to a place of industry sharing, both of his experiences and those of others.
Joe’s expertise includes staging, indoor/outdoor decor consulting, custom permanent designs, plant installations, landscaping, custom sympathy and everyday shop designs. He is a mentor to the student chapter of AIFD Cal Poly and promotes the motto of “Educate, motivate and create.”

Joe recently took on a new challenge: educating the public. His new website, http://www.arrangecreativeflowers.com, provides tips and advice to help consumers better appreciate our floral world.

I Love, Love, Love Anthropologie window displays! They are always inspiring. My shop is very small and we really try to stay creative with displays. It's really a challenge but about every 3 months I have to gut the place because I just can't stand the clutter.

Reactions: bootcampguy