Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD

Dec 27, 2003
Beaufort
carolinafloraldesign.com
State / Prov
SC
I have a big wedding on Vday. It is going to be held in a historic B&B. My bride wants garland with flowers around the doorframe. She doesn't want an arch or arbor just greens and blooms "around the shape of the door" . Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the garland? Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sylvia

If there is molding around the doorframe, have you tried the thin metal wire wreath holders? They may fit between the wall and molding. I have also used at times some of the 3M products that you pull the adhesive off after use. You may have to try out to see if it will hold your garlands. Plumosa garlands are very light and airy.
Beaufort...that is where my daughter lived while in the Navy.
Beautiful place Beaufort SC.

:) Thanks Rhonda! I will "practice with both ideas. I must be carzy to do a wedding on Vday, huh? Anyway, thanks so much for responding.
sylvia

I can tell you from experience -- if you plan on using the garland floral cage holder from oasis --- you can not trust the hooks you have to wire all the pieces together. WE have the garland machine and we just make a nice green garland, some baby breath and we glue in the flowers. Mist it with crowning glory or floral mist. Have you thought about the sticky hooks you apply to a surface and when your done you just pull the tab and its suppose to come off without hurting the wall.

countrypetal,

I plan to use the 3M stickup things you mentioned. I have the garland ordered from Cut Flower. They make it and it will have BB in it. I have used the floral glue as you suggested and will likely use it for this project. I, however, have only done small things with the glue. Not such a big piece. Any suggestions on how early I should start glueing flowers in place? Thanks for your input.

Sylvia

i would not start untill the day beofre, make sure you mist it with crowning glory or floral mist. OR you can put the flowers in after you have the arch up

Sorry, this post may be a little too late for you..

we order pre-made garlands...Charge 'em for making your life that much easier.
I've used those 3M things..they're good...and they come in different "strenghts"...Some places are still skeptical though, so I'd ask the venue if it's ok before you assume that you'll use them.

My BEST suggestion...When you don't know how to mount something, where to put something, or what to do with ANYTHING going into a reception hall or church...ASK THE VENUE. Each place is different. Some places could tell you "heck no, you're not putting anything around this door no matter how you mount it"..others may be ok with you supergluing it to the wall (haven't come across any like the latter, though lol)

A lot of times, just asking their coordinator...who has seen this done every weekend of her career there...will know EXACTLY what to do in the situation...I just call and openly admit that I am stumped or concerned and 99% of the time they make a great suggestion...or tell me that the bride can't do it at all.

If all else fails, never be afraid to tell the bride that it can't happen. Then suggest a similar achievable look. If it's over budget or not what she wants...oh, well for her!

And we do put the flowers on garlands on site. Weave 3-4" stems into the garland. No glue on site!!! It can get messy and you don't want to mess up the carpet! However, if you didn't budget for a hefty labor charge, glue the day before b/c on site design is very time consuming.

Dana

Thanks to everyone for all your great suggestions. I decided to use copper tubing and the 3M stickups. Purchased the garland premade for Cut with bb in it. I wired in fresh gardenias. used the same garland around the candleabras with wired gardenias. It was BEAUTIFUL!! 2 10' fireplace mantles with gardenia, oriental lilies and lots of greens. 4 4' topiaries garnished with gold ribbon. 5 huge hanging boston ferns with dendrobiums and callas cascading, 2 placed on 3' corner tables with the same "bursting out". 12 "cocktail centerpieces" with lilies, hydrange, ranaculus, roses, 10 dinner centerpieces in square vases with clear marbles, hydrangea and lilies surrounded by crystal votives (100 in all ) ranaculus bouts and coursages, bride - lilies, ranaculus, dendrobiums, 2 bm - lilies garnished with gold ribbon. 100 mint boxes marked with gold "R" and garnished with gold tulle and ribbon. I think that about sums it up. Had all Vday done by 2 on friday worked on the wedding til 1am. I was at the Inn on Sat for 4 hours before the wedding then back again at 3:30 - because they paid to have me their for 3 hours. WOW what a day!! I wish you all could have seen it!!! Sorry for being so long winded I am just so happy with the results. Bride and Groom loved it. Guests readily told me how beautiful it was and the photographer told me she had never seen such a beautiful wedding. I'll stop now. I'm just so glad I can finally say it's over and be very happy with it. And I couldn't have done it without all the great info I get from this board!! Thumbs up to all the hardworking florists out there! Thanks for listening:)

Congrats...glad you had fun while doing it (and hopefully made money at it also)...
BTW, are you in Beaufort SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.