Article Get In The Nonprofit Game

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
Editor's Note: This week's lead story comes courtesy of Joe Guggia, AIFD.

I have to admit that nonprofits can be a royal pain. These wonderful entities seem to think we grow our flowers in our backyards and that all we do is “throw” flowers in a vase. So don’t we have all the time in the world to help them succeed? Oh no, here comes another charity…run and hide!

Nonprofits are a reality for anyone in the business of décor and events. Yes, it is annoying to be asked to give your work away for free. But at the same time, so many of us in this industry end up tossing product that doesn’t get sold. Why not use these extra blooms and our quality skills to add beauty to the world of others while helping these groups make the money needed to stay afloat.

Case in point: International designer and industry favorite Rene Van Rems, AIFD heads the design team for The San Diego Botanical Gardens annual Gala, and has for the last 15 years. Every year he tirelessly gives his time to create a floral wonderland for attendees, the Gardens employees, and the city of Encinitas, Calif. This year I decided to answer his call and give my time and energy to this wonderful event.

This was a huge commitment for me as I’m a one-man show and could easily have lost business traveling five hours south of my shop. Well, I decided to throw “caution to the wind” and took the opportunity to help in any way I could. And I’m so glad I did.

With the help of 40 designers (some donating their time flying from out of state at their own cost), we created more than 70 centerpieces, stage designs, food station arrangements, attendees’ gifts (there were over 550 guests!) and many other decorative challenges in the span of about four days. Everyone who was there was so happy and excited to be on site with no thought of the time and energy it took. It was amazing and quite admirable for all the designers to work together, throwing ego aside for the goal of raising money for this beautiful gem. And raise money they did: more than $1 million for a new educational facility! Now that’s a great return for time spent with my friends.

While this may not be the scale your nonprofits ask you to participate in, I’m sure you have some product (with signage recognizing your business) to give attendees that special beauty only you can create. So the next time nonprofits knock at your door, welcome them with a smile and a positive attitude. If for no other reason, think of the request as an honor to help those in need. I know I had a “nonprofit” wake up call after helping Rene and The San Diego Botanical Gardens team. I realized we can make a difference with our creative talent. Follow that tall Dutch guy’s example and give, give, give. It’s not as painful as you might think. Who knows, you might even get an order out of the deal!

Tell us: Do you work with nonprofits? What are your best practices?

We pick 5 per. year and bam them up. They do give us a budget, because other half to be paid. So we ask for $500 - $1000 and just knock their socks off. In return we ask for a list to follow-up with attendees and a corporate level sponsorship (Gold, Bronze, etc.) and I attend. We plan all of this way in advance and then help them with a theme and the overall set up of the event. I at least get the costs and some labor covered. Works, really good for us.

Reactions: SLevi
We pick 5 per. year and bam them up. They do give us a budget, because other half to be paid. So we ask for $500 - $1000 and just knock their socks off. In return we ask for a list to follow-up with attendees and a corporate level sponsorship (Gold, Bronze, etc.) and I attend. We plan all of this way in advance and then help them with a theme and the overall set up of the event. I at least get the costs and some labor covered. Works, really good for us.
Hi, Recently I was involved in a floral design contest through a wholesaler and won! The prize is $100.00, where $50.00 goes to a non-profit of my choice and the other $50 goes to a "shopping spree" at the wholesaler for me! This helped the non-profit immediately and may also help us both in the long run, because they have my name now! I have also done things through my childs school-through the PTA. It's easy to get pre-made bouquets from the wholesaler and charge a little mark-up-then you aren't killing yourself getting out many, many arrangements.

Reactions: bootcampguy